Logo

water temp? 1991 570 do

quint

Contributing Member
91 570DP fresh water cooled runs a bit cool @ 130-135F..pulled thermostat saw just a 142 stamped..oper. manual says thermostat 153-160F..I figured running cool isn't a prob but a few blokes down @the marina said I'm not operating @ a efficient temp and running that cool is robbing the eng of power and fuel economy especially running 20w-50 thick oil like my OM says to use. Is there any truth to this? Since I'm FW cooled cant I just get an auto thermostat for a my year chevy 5.7 that's 153-160F?

Re: water temp?

Yes, there is truth to that! You can and will want to bring that temperature up if you have a closed cooling system.

Lower temps are normally reserved for open systems (raw water cooled) when running in salt water. It has to do with salt crystallization at temps at/above 143* or so.
The salt crystallization is something that we want to avoid for our exhaust mans, engine blocks and cylinder heads.

If closed system cooled, bring it up..... your engine, cabin heater, water heater will all like you better! :)

Re: water temp?

Thanks, Rico Suave' I am in almost fresh water though very low salt content in the DE river side of Jersey...so should i just go to napa and ask for the for a 153-160F thermostat since the only liquid going through it is anti-freeze 50/50?

Back