Logo

Mariner 9.9 year & model identification help

congerball

Good afternoon all

I'm new to the forum, My name is Ben and I live in England. I am seeking a bit of help from some of you more experienced guys out there. To cut a long story short I am trying to get my Mariner 9.9 outboard serviced for the summer but my first stumbling block is trying to identify the age and model of my engine. The ID plate must have fallen off over the years (its had its fair share of wear and tear but was running ok last summer) so my first job is to try and identify which year/model I have so I can buy the appropriate service manual.....the only number I can find has been stamped into a circular metal 'cap' (not sure what it is but its apprx 1 & 1/2 inches in diameter) The number is: 9579798 There is a 'M' stamped above this number.

Apologies if this post seems a bit vague but I'm really struggling to identify the age of the engine, I stumbled across this site and thought why not give it a go.

I have taken various photos of the engine just incase this helps with the identification -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/congerball

As you can see from the photos I need to order up a couple of bits and bobs but don’t know where to start!

Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated

Cheers everyone....

Hello Ben,

first off you have a 1989 "Mercury/Mariner" model (that number you found is the production number (serial) from Merc in Belgium).

Seloc's makes a very good workshop manual for this model "Mercury Outboard - 1965-1991, 1&2 cylinder".

If you go with Seloc's, DO NOT get their "Mariner" manual - it is for the Yamaha produced Mariners which are totally different than yours.

You simply have a Merc that was painted to be a Mariner.

These are an outstanding motor, probably one of the best 9.9's ever produced by any mfg.

They are easy to work on, super reliable, and almost nothing ever breaks on them. If you take care of it the only thing you will ever change is sparkplugs (use NGK's), lower gear oil and the impeller...

Thank you so much 'galamb' that really is appreciated.

So my next step is to order the manual, I've 'googled' the information you supplied and have found this -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Outboard-1965-1991-Tune-Up-Manuals/dp/0893300128

Before I buy I obviously wanted to double check with you to make sure I'm buying the correct one?

Thanks for letting me know that I have a good engine there....my aim is to get it running virtually as new so I can rely on it when I need to....in the past I have had a few 'heart in my mouth moments' when the thing would not start....I want to eradicate these problems so I have total confidence in my engine. This is why I want to be able to service the engine myself.

On the other hand if anyone has a PDF or 'general maintenance' guidelines/instructions you could send in email..PM me...that would be very helpful...

Now that I've established the year/make I can order the parts I need.

Cheers

Yes, that link gives the exact manual that you want.

I forgot the "volume 1" part in the title :)

I own a Canadian built 1986 and U.S. built 1987 9.9 (little sisters to my 91, 15 horse).

Neither has had anything replaced other than water pump impellers, gear oil and sparkplugs and still fire up on the first or second pull.

They have excellent carbs (Walbro) and the best ignition system ever put on an outboard (Merc's Thunderbolt 4). The powerheads themself and the gears were built by Yamaha for Mercury and are really tough to kill....

Thanks again.

I've ordered the book and also managed to find a dealer near me who has the parts I need. Can you tell me the correct fuel/oil ratio I should be using on my motor?

I'm looking forward to doing all this myself one day but I've got a fishing mate whos going to so me the ropes first of all....just to be on the safe side. Then hopefully with the manual and a bit of confidence I can 'crack on' when needed.

Mix at 50:1 - you can use regular unleaded (I think your 92 RON is the equivalent of our 86 Octane) and TCW3 rated 2 stroke oil.

I have successfully serviced my engine and replaced the impeller..with a bit of help off a mate :D

I have a couple of questions but understand if they can’t be answered...

The inflatable my engine will be attached to is an AVON 340 Rover..not 100% on the year but it’s in pretty good condition. See link -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/congerball/4609077120/

I am trying to get a general idea on what the fuel consumption would be for my engine..I realise they're different variables but an approximation would be good...2 persons 12 stone each..25ltr fuel tank...anchor,chain and rope...oars. For sake of argument I will say the engine is running at 80% on a calm sea...:eek:

Finally the prop has seen better days...so I would look at getting a new one for next year, do I just go for the standard prop or would anyone advise on something with a different 'pitch'?...

From what I’ve read a 'mushroom' style anchor is best used on an inflatable?...the ground I intend to fish is sand/mixed ground/kelp patches..Would anyone advise if this is the best option or should I look at something else? What weight should I go for? It’s just the storage of an anchor on an inflatable concerns me incase anything gets ripped!? (just pleasure fishing for Bass,nothing serious...it’s a large bay in Scotland always within 1 mile of land with nessaccary safety items on board)

All help appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
I can give you some (general) numbers - I have experience running 9.9's on a number of different boats, weight loads etc.

So your boat goes about 180 pounds (dry), add 75 lbs for the motor, 340'ish lbs for you and your shipmate, 35 pounds of fuel, and say 50 lbs for other stuff - so a little under 900 pounds.

I generally run 850 lbs (on the water weight) with one of my 9.9's.

At wide open throttle she burns about 4 liters/hour - if you back her down to about 2/3's (the point where you hear the motor open right up but you still have throttle left) the gas consumption cuts in half.

With your current rig a standard 9" diameter, 9" pitch, 3 blade prop will work fine - and will be what's on it if is original to the motor.

As to anchors, agree the mushroom may be safer on a rib - from the point of view of not puncturing or tearing anything, but generally, anchor style is determined by the type of bottom you are trying to "hook".

With a mushroom you rely on the weight of the anchor to keep you in place as opposed to it grabbing the bottom. So depending on wind you either need a little (10lbs) or alot, maybe upwards of 30.

For the type of bottom you note, I would personally go with a light danforth style and just be careful of the "pointy" ends :)

Once again thankyou for that galamb. I will find or make something to store my anchor in, I was thinking along the lines of a large rubber 'hot water bottle' with the neck end cut off allowing the anchor to be placed inside when not in use. Something like that anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled. Maybe I'm just being too cautious, suppose a small fish box at the front to store the anchor, chain and rope would do. I will go for the anchor that you have suggested.

Thanks

Ben

I've been known to be resourceful (cheap) :)

In my canoe I don't carry an anchor for a couple reasons - one being I don't want to hump it accross a 3K portage.

So what we use is one of those nylon mesh (laundry) bags - I guess more properly, the little ones that camping places sell to store your plates in.

When we get to a lauch it's just a matter of grabbing up a few rocks from the shoreline and putting them in the bag which is then tied to the "anchor rope".

If it's windy, the bag gets a couple "extra" rocks.

As a bonus, water smoothed rocks don't have sharp edges...

Good morning,

I'm about to order an anchor for my SIB. I just need to know what weight will do. I'll be fishing in clam conditions, light winds, tides can get quite strong in the area. The size/weight of the boat is posted above. I won’t be leaving it anchored overnight. Just something to hold us steady over mixed ground (sand/shingle/few kelp & rock patches) Depth of around 70ft.

Thanks

Back