Logo

1981 Aq145a rough runner

rseago2009

I have 1981 AQ`45a and runs fine at idle but under load misses and won't create any rpms. Vibrates badly but at idle doesn't miss. Any ideas?

I have the same issue with a 78 pent and a 280. It runs awesome in idle, hard shift, and rap drop off from cruise to nothing got progressively worse to the point now I cannot keep it above idle in gear.
I had my carbs set and tuned by a pro, and its not the issue. from what I read the best i've gleaned is something in the throttle cable related to the shift part. someone (and I cannot find it again) commented that there is a 'micro switch' of sorts that for a split second cuts the engine during shift in and out (to save the gears). I'm new to this but its the ONLY lead I've been able to trace down. My plan is to swap out the cable. I cannot find any other electric part that is busted or exhibiting a loss of function to the point of causing this failure. I'd be SUPER grateful to anyone who can nail this issue down for me.

Volvos do not have a shift interrupter switch, don't need one!. Mercs do. Last time plugs,cap ,rotor etc done?

Last edited:
Back