Logo

vovlo penta 2.1 4cy

razorred

was wondering, I can find the bottom screw to drain the bottom end oil but can't seem to find the top screw that releases pressure and allows it to drain. Does this engine even have one? As well I want to take the prop off but it seems to have a release ring below the cone with 8 or more taps that need to be pressed at the same time to get the cone off is there a tool that you need in order to do this or am I going about it the wrong way?

1) The crankcase is vented, so the oil should drain with no problem.

1) One or more tabs are bent against the cone; find them and straighten them with a flat blade scrediver and a hammer.

Thank you for your reply. Is it the vents just at the base. Either way thank you again. With the tabs, you say one or more may be bent, just to straighten them. Does that mean when I take the one bolt out of the center of the cone it should just come off? All the best.

getting cone off

I saw recently a diagram of the cone, spacer ring, the tabs and finally the prop. For a 4cyl vovlo penta engine. I was wondering if anyone can provide that for me. I was told that you need to straighten the tabs to get the cone off. But the prop looks like it has been hit. Perhaps when backing up. So some of the tabs are not accessible. Just wondering if you have to bend the tabs down or up to pop the cone off. There doesn't seem to be much room to do anything.

Re: getting cone off

I saw recently a diagram of the cone, spacer ring, the tabs and finally the prop. For a 4cyl vovlo penta engine. I was wondering if anyone can provide that for me. I was told that you need to straighten the tabs to get the cone off. But the prop looks like it has been hit. Perhaps when backing up. So some of the tabs are not accessible. Just wondering if you have to bend the tabs down or up to pop the cone off. There doesn't seem to be much room to do anything.

The tabs have to be bent down (towards the prop hub) to remove the cone. Not sure what you can do if they're not accessible...maybe someone else can help with that.

Here is a diagram showing the two different prop hardware configurations for a standard hub:

standardhub.gif

thanks so much that is a big help. This site is a life saver, with people like yourself that are able to help. Thank you again.

need to get the drive shaft out. The prop is off, just wondering what it entails when removing the drive shaft. If it is easy or alot of work. As well I want to drain the oil and the coolant just wondering where the drains are located.

Re removal of the propeller shaft

( volvo penta AQ125B) The propeller shaft is bent. I put an indicator on the base of it and it was 5-6 thou out then I put the indicator just below the threads that the cone screws onto, was able to get it so nothing interfered with the indicator, and it was out 40 thou. Not sure if it should be replaced. The guy at the Marina said 5 thou is tolerable but the 40 thou is right at the tip would that cause problems farther down the shaft. Would like to pull it out seems like it slides out in one piece. As well I was going to change the engine oil. It says to suck it out through the dip stick, but why can't I just take the bottom plug out? Any ideas?

Back