Logo

GM350 engines

sonama

I have a Crusader CH270, so a GM350 1986 engine in my boat so I would like to know why when I look at engines they have 1985 and older and 1987 and earlier but almost nothing on the 1986? Is there that much difference of if I ever need to trade mine can I do it for a 1985 or 1987? Are the internal and attachments for the other year's model also good for the 1986 and if not, is anyone can explain me the difference and why?

Thanks for your help and a great summer of boating to all of you.

Jean

There are sublet differences, but nothing to get upset over--unless you plan an updated replacement. Then you'd need to swap out a few things (like the flywheel, I believe) to get things right. The newer "Vortek" motors--that have vertical intake manifold bolting-- have more power and torque. If that's what you already have, then you're in good shape!

Jeff

That's the time frame that GM switch from a two piece real seal to a one piece seal. all the bolt ons are the same.

It is up to whoever you are buying the rebuilt from when they will accept your core.

1986/1987......5.7L and 5.0L respectfully, I believe, went to the formentioned single rear crank seal, and center bolt valve covers along with some additional cylinder head casting numbers.
The blocks are also marked as to displacement.

IMO the center bolt valve covers alone are worth the change!

For anyone requiring the 153 tooth flywheel, this can be found in a 1986/1987 or later Camero application!
This is what the AQ series V/P guys have to do.

Back