Logo

Crusader 350ci choke plates

Wayne Newman

Hello. First post here. Wonder if anyone has any idea on what I found today. We just purchased this great boat; 1992 Silverton 31C with twin inboard Crusader 350's - 270hp each.

The boat has been really hard starting when cold. 10 second turnovers 3 or 4 times before each engine woud fire but once running, it ran fine. While tuning up the engines today, I noticed that someone had used a zip strip and locked together the choke linkage, the vacuum choke linkage, and the coil spring choke lingage. All 3, locked together tight so the choke is locked open all the time!

Anyone have an idea why someone would do that? Is there a winterizing step that someone might have done this for (I doubt it, but I'm guessing).

My main guess would be that the chokes wouldn't stay open when hot so the dumb ass locked them together instead of fixing what's broken.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Wayne

Well Wayne, that may be the case but here's my story.....

My 454's ( Silverton 34C ) run Edelbrock 1409's for carbs and for the last 4 years have had the chokes zip tied open. My engines exhibit the exact same starting characteristics but it is because the fuel dries up and rolls back to the tank within a few days to I may need to crank them for 20-30 seconds to cough up enough life to start on the 3rd or 4th try. I have the same year engines. With these carbs IF I were to use the electric chokes I get too much fuel even at a low choke setting. and they flutter a bit. I'd rather be sure they are really open

I.ve thought of and have had suggestions for several other options including a momentary on electric fuel pump to help bring fuel into the system sooner but several here whom I respect highly have suggested to leave it be and... that oil pressure is building in the block prior to the startup. Once warmed and if used withing 48 hours of the last shut down, she starts as well as my fuel injected modern day Suburban.....INSTANTLY...So, I replaced the zip ties last fall and will continue to do so again next fall.

It;s a new line in my maintenance log...REPLACE choke zip ties every 24 months or 300 hours :)

While tuning up the engines today, I noticed that someone had used a zip strip and locked together the choke linkage, the vacuum choke linkage, and the coil spring choke lingage. All 3, locked together tight so the choke is locked open all the time!

Anyone have an idea why someone would do that? Is there a winterizing step that someone might have done this for (I doubt it, but I'm guessing).

My main guess would be that the chokes wouldn't stay open when hot so the dumb ass locked them together instead of fixing what's broken.

Wayne
Wayne, the person that abandoned the choke function did not take it further to address the real issue, of which may be as simple as new helix heating eliments..... and/or correcting an electrical circuit issue...... assuming that these are electrically heated helix units.

I'd replace the necessary parts, and adjust them correctly.
It's nice to have engines that fire up quickly!

I think that the idea of oil pressure building up (while cranking) is moot, quite honestly.
All components will be protected with the ambient thin film of oil.
Plus, cranking and cranking places unnecessary loads and strains on starter motors, batteries and alternators, IMO here.
It adds up over time!

...'Anyone have an idea why someone would do that?"

They must have the local starter rebuilding concession! Not good, both for the starter/ ring gear and motor bearings take a beating every time, just to get 'em running.

I'll bet that butcher work was done by one of those "modern" EFI only mechanics! Those guys have no appreciation or knowledge of how to set up a carb, so when the choke doesn't open fast enough they...you know.

Jeff
Jeff

Update: Crusader 350ci choke plates

We went down to the boat today and the each engine fired up in less than 2 seconds. I pumped the throttle once, then gave it 1/4 throttle and turned the key. 2 Seconds max, probably closer to one second.

Thanks for the comments. We took her out for a ride, about 15 minutes out on the lake at around 3200 rpms, and then came back in at around 1800 rpms. The engines ran perfectly.

I'm thinking that if the chokes were 'half closed', I would have known it, right?

I'm considering this 'problem solved'.

Wayne

I'm not sure I understand why you're 'giving up'. I'd fix the parts if they were broken but it seems that everything is working just fine with the zip strips removed. Engines start in one to two seconds and run great. At full temperature, choke plates are open all the way and at cold start, they are closed.

What am I missing?

What was meant by that, is that if you don't understand why the OEM designed and installed a thermostatically controlled choke system...., and if you want to zip tie them fully open, then the advice here re; correcting them, and making sure that they work "as designed", is in vain.
That's all.... no offense intended! :)

Personally, I'd make them work again even if this means replacing some of the parts. Yes, it can be a PITA, but once adjusted, they should work well. IMO.

Frankly...In nearly 5 years and being elbow deep in the carbs and engines...THIS is the way they work the best. They are not OEM, (Edelbrock 1409's) have some reasonable flow and I have zero problem with their running this way...Other than for a minimal delay in starting IT STILL is going to require X time to return fuel to the carb from the tank and cranking the engines seems to be the best way so far. My fuel computer economy has improved and if a simple zip tie was neglected by the engineers and mathematicians at Edelbrock in their design, shame on them...I glad I figured it out ! ;)

The reason it worked fine "last time" was because it was probably fairly warm out. If you get a cold morning or later in the season your going to have the same issue starting. I'd bet the coils, whether a divorced choke or electric, went bad and that was a quick fix that worked for the time and then was never addressed. Fix it. If the "crusader" cost of $50+ a piece scares you, look back over the past few weeks on the forum, I was able to match the exact same coils at local auto shop for $10 each...

All 3, locked together tight so the choke is locked open all the time!

Lets say it was the mechanic, who did an engine compression test. WOT, choke open, cold. maybe, maybe

Back