Logo

86 omc 400 clunk revisited.

plane_crazy

I guess I didn't want to think about it but everything tried didn't remedy the constant clunk in forward drive.
Tore the bottom end apart, the dog and forward gears are rounded. Had it apart last season and it looked perfect. Of course we used it all last season only to worsen the problem.
New gears and dog on order, seal kit also. My question is will it happen again after rebuild. Shift cable looks good. the manual shift rod and slider work good.

When we got the boat it had no forward. The previous owner had the cable out of adjustment we got it to work by adjusting the converter box, but not until we removed the lower end and reset the shifter rack and roller did it shift properly.
I guess the damage was already done, and only got worse.

The boat and motor are mint, the shift mechanism just doesn't look like it has a lot of holding power, The dog slides so easily.

dogs of any drive system, i/o or outboard, have an engagement angle such that load actually forces them to lock tighter.

got any pics of the wear?

Is it a perfect rhythm of clunking? (i.e. constant frequency...such as once per 15 seconds exactly) increasing with rpm?

or is it totally random?

dog issue would be totally random.

if rhythmic, the problem is with the gears

Some pics of the forward gear and dog.

Attachments

• P5220008 (Medium).jpg
    P5220008 (Medium).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P5220010 (Medium).jpg
    P5220010 (Medium).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74
  • P5220012 (Medium).JPG
    P5220012 (Medium).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P5220014 (Medium).JPG
    P5220014 (Medium).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 247
  • P5220015 (Medium).JPG
    P5220015 (Medium).JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 74
Tomorrows the day. Just replaced gears and clutch dog, all new seals and gaskets, set up shifter neutral. Just need to fill lower unit with oil.
Took my neighbour and I 1 1/2 hours to remove drive and tear it down and 3 hours to rebuild and re attatch.

well success. Smooth sailing. Ran her about 2 hours, nice and easy. Only got it up to about 2800rpm.

How long before the new forward and reverse gears are broke in?

Back