Logo

1970 Johnson 9.9 will not shift out of neutral

larry hall

Can any one tell me what might be wrong. This motor was submerged 3 years ago in salt water, everything visible including carb was flushed, sprayed with fresh water, sprayed with lubricants. The motor has been running fine and shifting well until this season.

The Little Josie

Last edited:
Your motor has to be a 9.5 if it's a 1970. I'd take the gear case down and see if the shift rod came loose, before you do that, look where the shift lever connects to the shift rod (inside hood, next to low speed cable) under there and see if it's come loose. There's an adjustment there, the shift lever will move but the rod wont kind of thing.

If the lever will not move at all I'd suspect the lever shaft is seized due to a combination of lack if lubrication and its previous dunking.
If soaking in release oil does not free it you will probably have to remove it, clean it up and lubricate it. Take care not to force it and break it.

You have still not said if its a 1970 9.5 or a later 9.9. The gear shift mechanisms are different

vics - someone told me it was a 1970, I don't have the model w/ me but the engine cover says 9.9

fshegy99 - the motor runs great, I just can't shift into fwd or rev

The 9.9hp wasn't manufactured until 1974 and has the shift lever on the starboard side.

The 9.5hp has the shift lever located at the front portion of the engine.

Last edited:
The 9.9hp wasn't manufactured until 1974 and has the shift lever on the port side.
Er, shift lever is on the starboard side!

Is there a shift lock system that could be causing the problem if the lever shaft is not seized?

78%20SS.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Vics, The picture shown, is the style engine I have (shift lever on Starboard side).
That particular one is a 1978 model.

The picture is on THIS WEBSITE

Its a website you should know which about covers most things about 9.9 models but I could not find anything about the shift mechanism :(

Vic..... Just wanted to see if you were paying attention (grin). Previous reply edited to read "starboard". (Age catching up with me)

Back