Logo

chrysler 318 pops after 2100 rpm

Chrispy12111

I have a 1978 chrysler 318. Runs smooth at idle and upto 2100. Any time after 2100 and it starts popping. Any ideas?????

The boat is a 1978 chrysler silverton. The engine and trans were rebuilt in 2006 . An edelbrock carb with electronic choke. Wires and plugs are new. Fuel tanks are 2 seasons old. All fuel lines and filters are 2 seasons old.

Any suggestions?

sounds like the advance weights in the distributor are stuck, give them a shot with some wd40 & twist the rotor back & forth for about 15 mins,

Thanks Pete gonna give it a shot. One more thing it only happens when in gear. In neutral no problem. So when its under a load.

Valve spring?
Bent rod?
Burnt valve?

I'm I thinking to hard

Most engines ,regardless of what's wrong, do well in neutral. Start with the simple stuff, almost tool less fixes, like... stuck advance weights in the disty...

does that make sense. That it would run perfect up till 2100 and then pop anything above there. I will definetly try the distributor and keep going from there. The engine sounds great and strong up till that point.

You may have a couple of ignition wires crossed (easy to do the way the wires duck under the manifolds). Try high idling the (warmed up) motor at 1,500 rpms and pulling each wire at a time out of the cap, listening to the rpm change, then reinserting them. (Use insulated pliers and gloves.) If you find two that don't do a thing, reverse them in the cap.

Mine did the same as yours for the above reason; and, no, it is NOT obvious! My motor started and ran about the same--it even planed off the boat! But at 2,000 and up it popped through the carb.

Jeff

Thanks all for the responses. Got my sea foam and wd 40 and headed out. Distributor was clean and perfect. Tried the sea foam as well. Then traced all the wires and went thru my firing order. Its a reverse engine 12756348 and go figure 2 wires crossed. Switched them she runs like a beauty .

Once again a big thank you to Jeff and everyone else.

Happy boating

One last thing to make everyone laugh a little or cry. The marina changed the wires for me and told me I needed a new motor and it was a bad cylinder. Call me stupid but dont call me dumb . hahahah

Thanks again!!!

Back