Logo

Trouble keeping 1954 5.5hp johnson running

newbe25

Its a johnson seahorse. I have put all new gaskets where ever you can put gaskets on this motor. Put a new impeller on. Cleaned the carb. inside and out. I get very strong sparks from both plugs. compression on both cylinders are arouund 86. I dont lose any compression at all. I am not knowlegable about setting the idle adjustments on this motor. Could this be why it wont stay running. Sometimes when it does run I can't give it gas or it will die out. Thanks for any info you can provide.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at
:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

I tried exactly what you did. The motor will run for maybe 10 sec. to 15 sec. at the most. Then sometimes it pops like a back fire and causes the motor to die. I pulled the gas hose off to just use what gas i had left in the carb. Then I noticed when I would attemp to start it gas was coming out of the air side of the connector where you plug your gas tank hose on. Is that normal? It wasnt a lot it was like a mist. So I took air compressor and blew it in there. Tried to start again and same thing I just can't keep it running for more then 15 seconds even if its in gear or on a higher throttle. I just don't understand. I am getting compression in both pistons at 90. Great spark out of both wires. I just don't know.

It is running lean if it pops. My bet is that your fuel tank is not pressurizing. You have a leak in the fuel system somewhere. Very important that the tank is sealed or fuel will not stay to the motor.

The air beign forced to the tank is coming from the crankcase of the engine. There will be some fuel spray with it.

If compression and proper spark exists, it sounds like something within the carburetor may have been overlooked. The fuel being pumped to the carburetor upon priming is enough to have the engine running for a couple minutes at least.

Ok thanks for all this info. I re cleaned the carb. 3 times now. My feul tank is pressurizing very well. Could it be my float? Ive put new gaskets and packing washers in the carb. but I did not replace my float. Its still the old cork float and pieces of this dried glue looking stuff have come loose from the float. I will be messing with the carb. all day today so I will be close by my laptop to check this page. Thanks again for everything. Oh yes Late last night It ran the usual 10 to 15 seconds but somehow I eleminated the popping so it seems. Ill keep you updated and do as you guys suggest.

Well the popping is still there. Kinda like a small back fire but not near as load. Its like a ppphhh then the motor jerks and dies out. It will do this with and w/o the fuel tank connected. Not sure what to do next.

joereeves walked me through on mine it was doing the same thing try putting some new plugs in it and checking your needle valves and make sure not a build up on them, mine runs great now your just over looking something

Thanks for all the help everyone! I was missing something. I used a carb kit but i didnt replace the plug at first. I replaced it and cleaned carb again. Now this motor is running smooth in a test tank. Was able to keep it running for several minutes and I also switched to forward and reverse with ease! After doing this for a few min. I decided to shut motor off and wait till I can take it out. Thanks again for all the info everyone!:D:)

Back