Logo

40 hp tohatsu tilt and trim

edwardj2

I recently purchased a 16' Polar Kraft that has a 40 hp tohatsu. Prior to the purchase I checked the motor out and everything worked fine. Now that I have it home, something just isn't right....
I lowered the motor and then tried to raise it and nothing happened. I could hear it trying but no movement.
What could be the issue???

Thanks,
J Edwards

Don't have a service manual..
Last night I tried it and everything worked fine???
Also, I need a trolling motor for this boat. You have any suggestions on make and size...

A Factory service manual is available from your local Tohatsu/Nissan dealer, and is a wise investment. Intermittent electrical malfunctions can be elusive.

You did not mention the model of your present 40. If it's a TLDI, you can troll with it "as is" -- and don't need any aux trolling motor at all -- since you can change the idle speed from 700 to 800 to 900 by pushing the key.

I have a model m40d, serial number 42789. Is it the same as a m40d2? I thought maybe the 2 stood for 2 stroke???? I would like to know the year of this model as well. I know it doesn't really mean a whole lot, just would like to know.

Thanks,
J Edwards

I have a model m40d, serial number 42789. Is it the same as a m40d2? I thought maybe the 2 stood for 2 stroke???? I would like to know the year of this model as well. I know it doesn't really mean a whole lot, just would like to know.

Thanks,
J Edwards

The D is for a major revision in build. The 2 following that is for very minor changes. So yes, a D2 is indeed a D.

Thanks.... I emailed them and they told me it was a 1997. Since I know nothing about this motor, can you tell me if it's a well built motor and do you know of any issue this motor has had in the past...
Thanks
J Edwards

The 40D is the last in the series of 40 hp 2-strokes. Mature design... solid motor. Has several/many engineering updates from the original 40. Parts are still available. Many, many 40D's are still out there, running and running and running.

Back