Logo

sport jet 120 question

u4ickzo6

yes hi there im new to forum and i have a question.i have a 1996 sport jet 120, will it harm the engine if i use it with one of the hoses to the fuel recirculation system unplugged? thanks

Will assume you are talking about a 120XR model sport jet.

Leaving one of those lines "unplugged" could be potentially dangerous.

They "scavenge" gas that pools at the reeds and (recirculate) it so it's ultimately burned.

If the little hose is not connected that raw gas could collect in the lower cowl and if enough does collect you could end up with a "4th of July" model.

So "mechanically" you won't hurt the engine with it disconnected, but it is potentially dangerous from a "fuel leak" perspective...

Thanks for the response. If the hose is not leaking externally, because i have it pinched and zip tied, is it still dangerous?

If the hose is pinched off so that neither end (where it connects) is "open" then you should be fine.

But for the couple bucks, the cost of a bit of tube, it's well worth fixing. The motor was "engineered" to run with those in place.

With it not connected you can burn more gas or get excess air in the system (which could affect performance and ultimately cause piston/cylinder damage) - so I would not continue to run the motor for extended periods without repairing it.

Back