Logo

Paint for fiberglass

starsh1p

Regular Contributor
Hi folks, looking to paint my bilge white and not sure what kind of paint I can use on the fiberglass. Also want to paint the outside hull of my boat same here , what kind of paint. I thought I read here once that High Gloss Rustoleum would do the trick, is this true? Thanks

There are lots of ways to renew the bilge -from paints (including epoxy coatings) to applying new gelcoat. Interlux makes a product called "Bilgecoat" and it's a paint. Clean well, scuff sand, solvent wash, then apply your coating.

On the hull I've seen auto paints used (Du Pont, PPG, etc.) they produce a nice glossy shine. I think there's alot of prep involved, sanding, spraying an adhesion/primer coat then spraying the paint. It's alot easier to just polish the gel-coat back to a nice shine then wax or use something like Poli-glo to protect.

Thanks for the info. However I just rebuilt the transom and stringers, floor etc.... So there are some holes in the transom fiberglass from ladders and other things. I need to fill the holes then I thought it would be easier to just paint the entire transom a high gloss white. Nothing fancy, she is an old boat I just want it to look good. Gonna sand her down a bit till she is smooth then just roll on some paint. No spray equipment available here. So what kind of paint to use is the only question I have. Automotive paint maybe or like I said I thought I read here that I could use Rustoleum. Thanks again

Back