Logo

Changing 800 Stringer Impeller with Drive on Boat

gcban

Need some advise for someone who has never replaced a 800 Stringer Impeller!

My question is this, I have 1985 800 Stringer Drive and I am considering changing the drive water pump impeller while the drive remains attached to the boat. There is no problem with it now, I just don’t know the condition of it or how long it has been in the drive. I have had the boat 2 years with no cooling problems. I know that Hy or Chief wrote something about doing this before.

Should I change it or leave it alone? Also are there any pictures or guides online or anywhere else showing this operation being done while the drive is still attached to the boat. I have great mechanical skills, but I have never taken one of these drives apart though. My Clymer book shows the operation being done with the drive on a bench. Unfortunatly I don’t have that luxury since my boat is in a storage yard and I have no place to take the drive to work on it even if I did remove it.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! -G

have a table or a large cooler or chair ready on the port side.

on a trailer lower the bow as far as it will go, and raise the drive 1/2 the way up.

Remove the very top bolts, and the exhaust and the lower will come down. place it on the table and tie it to the swim platform. be carefull of the cable don't pull on it plenty of play in the cable.

remove the 4 bolts facing u in the upper drive from the bottom and the whole waterpump and shaft will come out. you could raise the drive a little more to make it easy, i sit on a milk crate when i pull the pump.

Chiefalen, thanks for the reply. One more bit of information if you would. Once the drive is tilted up 1/2 way, how far will the exhaust and lower portion have to be lowered (separated) onto the table to access the pump housing without stretching the cable? Just a rough estimate would be appreciated. I do know that I do not want to damage or have to replace that shift cable.

I will take pictures when I do this and post them here for others to reference in the future. Thanks again for all your and everyone else's great OMC help and advise. It is truly appreciated. -G

Last edited:
You drop the exhaust housing and lower in one piece and put it on the table or cooler.

It has to be completely out of the way. There will be enough room.

Back