Logo

AQ200/225 timing marks??

realslimshady

Contributing Member
Pulled the damper off the crankshaft of my old seized AQ200 today and it came apart-the outer part pulled off the rubber ring that joins it to the inner part.
I made some marks so that if possible I could squeeze the two parts back together, but looking at it now-
there is a groove on the outer diameter which is-supposedly-TDC as there is a sticker on it with degrees before/after TDC printed on it, BUT, if I line my marks up, this groove is nowhere near the keyway in the inner part....it would seem obvious that the keyway is aligned with TDC? Or not?
And secondly, if I resolve this question-should the rubber between inner and outer parts be bonded into place, and if so, what with?
Cheers in advance.

Hi,

First, if the vibration damper has come apart, throw it in the garbage and buy a new one. A bad vibration damper may lead to crankshaft failure.

Second, the line in the damper is supposed to line-up with a pointer installed on the block,a nd it will indicate #1 piston on TDC. Don't worry about its relative position with the crankshaft keyway, especially on a V engine.

Third, if your new vibration damper does not come with a sticker having timing marks and it just has the groove, use a strobe timing light with variable advance to set the timing and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Before you install the replacement balancer, be sure to mark this off for TAT (total advance timing) and up to approximately 35* BTDC so that you can use these new marks when checking your ignition's progressive advance.
Set/adjust according to OEM specs, and you will get the most from this engine.
BASE is BASE, but in order to do this correctly, we must see where TA is.

I love technology...., I understand it....., I use it......, but NO SIR.... not for me when TA is this critical for a marine gasoline engine that will have no electronic spark control, no knock sensing system nor any other engine data input to an ECU/ECM!
One glitch, one user error, one mis-calibration of the light..... no sir!
I want to see this in real time/real degrees.

Automotive.... I can understand the use.

Eduardo, I think we'll just have to chalk this one up to you and I simply agreeing to disagree! :)

Last edited:
I love technology...., I understand it....., I use it......, but NO SIR.... not for me when TA is this critical for a marine gasoline engine that will have no electronic spark control, no knock sensing system nor any other engine data input to an ECU/ECM!
One glitch, one user error, one mis-calibration of the light..... no sir!
I want to see this in real time/real degrees.

Automotive.... I can understand the use.

Eduardo, I think we'll just have to chalk this one up to you and I simply agreeing to disagree! :)

Darn, Ricardo!!! You mean that now, after 4 years of using it with only the TDC mark, I have to get my 5.7 GM harmonic balancer MARKED for TA?? :D;)

Which reminds me, if my balacer came with the pretty sticker with the TA marks, I might have gotten away with a cheaper timing light....:eek:

Back