Logo

03' Mercury optimax 175hp

akair

I am having problems starting the engine cold, the engine will try and turn over and then beep. I already took it to a mechanic and $900 dollars later got ripped off for nothin. I can get the engine to start, after it starts there is a considerable lag time until the fuel can catch up to the power settings. I am going to point my finger at the fuel pump, but not sure. I read a couple of other posts about fuel problems. I know that it is nothing from the fuel tank, fuel/water sep, and inline filter. Is there something I should be looking for to indicate that the pump is not working when I am on step and cruising at 3800 rpm's. Because there seems to be no glitch after the boat gets to cruise speed. Maybe there is a sort of syphine that takes effect after the fuel starts to flow.

wrong forum. But : Did you check the filter? Did you pull the fuel pickup tube in the tank?

Follow the fuel hose disconnect the fuel hose at the fitting that enters the carb.

That fitting is a anti-syphin valve " one way valve " unscrew it from the tank and a tube will come up. Bottom if it may have a screen.

You have water in the fuel water sep ? Your vent clear ?

Which forum shoould I have posted on this is a 175hp inboard. I have checked everything from the fuel tank to the pump. Is the anti syphine valve on the carb side of the fuel pump.

this ain't a outboard ? The fitting that enters the on board tank is the valve.

What am i missing here this ain't a outboard ?

Apparently Mercury made a 2 stroke engine for jet drive applications called the "Optimax inboard".

While your engine is mounted "inboard", it uses 2 stroke technology which is normally unique to outboards. Inboards (gas) usually applies to 4 stroke technology.

You would probably do better on Merc's Outboard forum.

Back