Logo

1972 AQ130C sea water pump issue...

IndianaAQ130C

I have a 1972 Bayliner with an AQ130C 4cyl Volvo engine...new impeller, shaft, seals, gasket all put back together and I have a hard time getting it to prime/take on water when out of the water. I am using 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum, leveling the trim and letting it run at idle. In-take hose is clear, but can't get enough water in the system to keep the temp in range - it wants to get hot unless I use a muff and force water in from the hose. I decided to take it to the lake, floated it on the trailer in enough water to cover the inlet veins on the lower end unit and the same thing happens...do i need to just drop in in the lake and cruise for a minute or to so that it can prime/take on water like it is supposed to? the exhaust bellow does have a couple small wear-through marks (plan on replacing it) but not sure if that has any effect on the intake/priming/taking on water like it should...

Re: AQ130C sea water pump issue...

The pump is self-priming, so if all the internals are new and there is no air ingress, the pump should do its job properly. You may want to remove the discharge hose in the raw water pump, then connect a plastic hose between the pump and over the side, then start the engine and see how much water comes through the hose (do that for a short period of time only, you don't want the engine to overheat!!!). If the water flow is good, maybe the oil cooler tubes need to be rodded, or the exhaust manifold is corroded/choked internally.

Do what El says and that pump should be pushing all sorts of water!! If not you might block the intake gills with a big wet rag, you're going to get wet, and hook a garden hose to the intake hose going to the pump. Back flush down thru the drive with the gills blocked the best you can with the rag and see if the hose nipple/gasket on the water intake S-hose is leaking. Going the other way it WILL suck air before water. The pump is just like us, very lazy and air is easier to suck than water.

On my AQ130C, just after starting it up, I sometimes have to give the engine a couple quick revs to about 2000 RPM to get water circulating through the system. Worth a try...

i have a similar problem it was the first time out on yhe river and we over heated we packed and got back home but i am new to boating and i need help what will be the first thing to do in a case like this

Transportes and others,

You won't believe the "fix" for this original issue! I have, against all logic and engine manual instructions/schematics, reversed the "intake" hose to the "outlet" side of the pump, a the "outlet" to the "inlet" side and it took water on like mad! It worked like a charm and the issue is gone! The temp is good and the water sprays out the exhaust outlet like crazy...why did I not not try it, against my own judgment, sooner! I guess it is the price i had to pay...

Transportes and others,

You won't believe the "fix" for this original issue! I have, against all logic and engine manual instructions/schematics, reversed the "intake" hose to the "outlet" side of the pump, a the "outlet" to the "inlet" side and it took water on like mad! It worked like a charm and the issue is gone! The temp is good and the water sprays out the exhaust outlet like crazy...why did I not not try it, against my own judgment, sooner! I guess it is the price i had to pay...

Don't worry, stranger things have happened...:D

The important thing is that you found the problem and solved it.

Happy boating!!

Back