Logo

Pre Alpha 1979 Trim Cylinder Interchanability

Bruce Gibbins

Hello Group - this is my first post here.

The tilt rams for my Mercruiser stern drive are jammed in the high out or trailer position. I need to either rebuilt my rams, or buy rams that are new or already reconditioned. The snag is that with my rams the hydraulic lines are fitted one to the bottom of the ram outer cylinder and the other line runs right up to the top of the outer cylinder.
Question: are the rams that I have just described interchangeable with the Mercruiser rams that have both hydraulic lines entering side by side at the base of the cylinder?
Any ideas?
Bruce:)

Just a thought, I find that if I raise my drive to the trailer position and don`t release the button quick enough causing the motor to grunt, it will sometimes stick in the up position. Usually getting someone to put pressure down on the leg will get it moving again and is fine until next time I hold button too long!

Thank you both very much for your support here.
We've stood, jumped and hit a wood drift trying to dislodge these pesky rams, but to no avail. I still need to catch a bit more of an education surrounding pre-Alpha and Alpha 1 trim rams in general before I end up breaking something.
Thanks again
Bruce

Back