Logo

Which solenoid do I need?

floater1

Regular Contributor
I have a '78 OMC 225. Outdrive number is w179038. I need to replace the tilt and trim solenoids. Just wondering which one I need. The two choices are at the bottom in the link.

http://www.teleflexsierra.com/OMC-S...on_id.758186963--store_id.373--view_id.489226

I think I need part # 18-5801 which doesn't specify which OMC drive its for but says its "For all engines with a flat solenoid bracket", which mine has.

Btw, the two original tilt and trim solenoids I have don't have a part number on either one. Instead they are labeled as follows: "Caution, replace with specified Ford service part only. Other parts may damage the engine electronic control unit".

Why would OMC put Ford parts on a Chevrolet engine from the factory?

because chevy only had the big solenoid on starter, the ford ones can be used on any motorized item that needs them, i have them on my john deere my massey fergeson they are pretty universal my 77 had the one like a car had but either one will work depending on your bracket, it allways better to replace the same as you have

it allways better to replace the same as you have

I agree. Being the originals don't have any part numbers I'm left to decide between the last two options in the Sierra parts link. Looks like the difference between the two is "isolated base" vs "grounded base" whatever that means. Neither of them say they are specifically for my particular model OMC.

Use the isolated base solenoid. It's a generic Cole Hersee solenoid.

What concerns me is that is says its for these two OMC models only:

• replaces: OMC 172869
  • replaces: OMC 581528
Neither of which is the same as my model number. Thats why I was leaning toward the grounded base as I stated earlier.

What is the difference between the isolated base vs grounded base?

Isolated base just means there will be a separate terminal to attach the ground wire to. Grounded base means the entire shell is ground so in a car you can attach to the inner fender or firewall and it will be grounded

my 77 was grounded when i bolted it to engine if you use this type make sure you use electric contact grease between sylonoid and mounting plate and make sure it is nice and shiney alot of times when they sat over winter they corode and come spring your haveing to take them off and reatach after you cleaned i9 had five on my engine and learnt real quick its beter to due it when you put your baby asleep for the winter

Isolated base just means there will be a separate terminal to attach the ground wire to. Grounded base means the entire shell is ground so in a car you can attach to the inner fender or firewall and it will be grounded

Grounded base it will be.

A marine specific part it may not be but I have gone to three parts stores locally and no one carries these in stock.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Must be the boonies there. I walked into auto zone they had it. Napa has it. And junk yards have it. Ebay has them right now.

Good luck.

Back