Logo

Engine Paint

delacova

I have twin Detroits 6-71's in my 38 Hatteras. I recently had the engine room cleaned and I am now ready to paint the engines. I was told by a friend that I need to purchase a high heat resistant paint, however, I spoke with someone at Valley Detroit who told me that all I need to purchase is the KRYLON 1501 spray at Home Depot. The engine manifolds are water cooled and I dont need the high heat paint. Can someoine help me with some guidance?

You can purchase "heat resistant" engine paint at any Napa or Auto Zone. Is it better than the Krylon? I don't know. There are some new paints on the market that are "high tack" and don't need any undercoat or primer but I've never tried them. I think Krylon makes a version of both the high heat and the high tack. I would not paint the exhaust manifold at all since I don't think any paint will hold up to exhaust temps...water cooled or not. Have fun and don't forget to run a vent fan so you don't end up on the evening news.

I use is krylon spray paint in the can.You can buy it by the gallon also.Ask your local paint shop or automotive shop to order it.This is how it appears on the label (krylon -engine color-g.m. alpine green detroit diesel- part number 2013) now u can buy some detroit factory paint from stewart & stevenson high$$$ per can but just ask them.

Back