Logo

Flapper valve?

Stupid_boat

Hi Guys i'm hoping I can get some good info here regarding a part I am not familiar with. After a few google searches I understand what it is, where it is located etc etc.

What are some symptoms of a stuck flapper valve? IS it possible for a Flapper valve to stick? I bought sombody's project and the boat sat for 4 years so a few things were not in great shape.. My engine symptoms remind me of the old potatoe in the cars exhaust pipe prank....

Thanks in advance.

Is it Stupid Boat or Stupid Boater???

I am glad you understand so much about your boat??

We certainly DONT know one F'n Thing about it.

Would you mind telling us??????????????

Is it Stupid Boat or Stupid Boater???

I am glad you understand so much about your boat??

We certainly DONT know one F'n Thing about it.

Would you mind telling us??????????????

LOL another typical "Marine" response.

The question is regarding the Flapper Valves on a 4.3L Mercruiser does it matter anything else J*ckas$.. keep your stupid comments to your self and find another way to increase your posts rating.....

I'm asking what are some symptoms of a "stuck" flapper valve? Or is it possible for them to stick? Nothing else matters, I'm not asking why I am having certain issues I can diagnose them myself.. Sorry not everyone knows everything in the world like you MR High and Mighty...

If you dont have anything to add regarding Flapper valves dont bother to post anything... Some one prove my opinion about "boating" forums wrong I know everyone on every "boat" forum isnt a pompus j*ckas$ that cannot comprehend the question at hand let alone add anything positive to any Thread...

Last edited:
OK Stupid

Here ya go.......

First thing to learn as a POSTER OF A QUESTION ON ANY FORUM,

Post what you have, in detail. Try to leave no information out.

post your question with as much deatail as possible.

When those who ANSWER questions are able to understand all specs regarding your boat set up, one or all can make a very edgucated response, typically based on many years of experience and many of that in a proffessional atmosphere (working in the biusness)

When you ask a vauge question with no specifics it make answering dificult to say the least.

Yours is not the only question posted and there are only so many here who tend to answer them.

So if you want some kind of assurance that this site is "different" from the others, I would say you get what you ask for, here or on any other site........

As far as YOUR flapper issue goes did you think that anyone here new you had a V6 with a through prop exhaust???

You could have had a 502 with thru transom exhaust for all we would have known.

Get the picture???

As far as a stuck flapper I have never seen one stuck where they mount in the exhaust.

They tend to break off and end up in the outdrive in the open cavity around the water pump assembly or in the exhaust tube/bellows.

Theny tend to break due to age and or overheating. It is a stainlees steel flap with a rubber outside edge to somewhat seal to the tube and keep water from feeding back in the exhaust to the manifolds.

Can they cause a sound issue/change? yes if they found there way to the prop. other wise they do not affect much. (typically)

As far as a stuck flapper I have never seen one stuck where they mount in the exhaust.

They tend to break off and end up in the outdrive in the open cavity around the water pump assembly or in the exhaust tube/bellows.

Theny tend to break due to age and or overheating. It is a stainlees steel flap with a rubber outside edge to somewhat seal to the tube and keep water from feeding back in the exhaust to the manifolds.

Can they cause a sound issue/change? yes if they found there way to the prop. other wise they do not affect much. (typically)

Thank you for the knowledgeable response I appreciate it!

OK Stupid

Here ya go.......

First thing to learn as a POSTER OF A QUESTION ON ANY FORUM,

Post what you have, in detail. Try to leave no information out.

post your question with as much deatail as possible.

When those who ANSWER questions are able to understand all specs regarding your boat set up, one or all can make a very edgucated response, typically based on many years of experience and many of that in a proffessional atmosphere (working in the biusness)

When you ask a vauge question with no specifics it make answering dificult to say the least.

Yours is not the only question posted and there are only so many here who tend to answer them.

So if you want some kind of assurance that this site is "different" from the others, I would say you get what you ask for, here or on any other site........

As far as YOUR flapper issue goes did you think that anyone here new you had a V6 with a through prop exhaust???

You could have had a 502 with thru transom exhaust for all we would have known.

Get the picture???

Sincerely Mr. High & Mighty

As a member of many forums... Yes I know how the game works. I also know if I want a simple response, I need not list a bunch of crap because it opens up a ball of unnecessary wax, I have done most of my troubleshooting when a new point was brought to my attention. Which is what I am asking about. Sorry in the 10 years of doing product development design for the internal combustion engine I have yet to run into a Flapper Valve other than my toilet.

I thought I had listed I had a 4.3L my apologies on that however regardless of whether I had a through transom exhaust or not.. do they not have the same function??.. Which would lead to symptoms?

FYI after reading your occupation in your profile we have the same positions and I try so hard not come off to people as a "I Think I know it all" type...

Sincerely Mr. High & Mighty

FYI after reading your occupation in your profile we have the same positions and I try so hard not come off to people as a "I Think I know it all" type...

I am who I am.......

Ya I worked with a lot of "engineers" who dont think details are important.

They seem to have one thing in common.......they all seem to believe that the people on the other end somehow know what they are thinking.

Information, details, specifics. That will get you what you want.

Your assumtions lead to a lot of uninformed opinions and answers.

Again there are alot of questions and soooo many leave out so much detail and info when asking it gets very frustraiting trying to figure out what they are saying.

Oh and maybe a better user name next time........."stupid ______"

Just leave out the word stupid.

Engineer or not does not make anyone any better than another and it was and is all about the details.....

Kghost,I believe you have helped me many times,and I appreciate it.I know you are what you are and that is the way it is ,but the guy just asked a simple question,maybe not enough detail but why answer it that way?We all look for help,but you don't have to judge anyone on there user name do you?Please reply back because this is not right unless your the owner of the forum,and I believe he/she would not do that

homerl:confused:

Yes, please make sure you include every last detail about your boat including what kind of deodorizing tablets you put in the head so that someone can reply with a ten paragraph identical cut and paste response to any question that involves trim pistons, pumps, switches etc.

Jeez, remove the risers look down the tube, see a flapper ?

No flapper then it might have fell down.

Shine a light down the tube see it ? No.

Got a way to see way down. Scope.

Ok symptom, if a flapper breaks off and blocks your exhaust then the boat will overheat.

Overheat is a bad, bad thing. Do you know what can happen when a motor overheats, i bet you do.

So now comes the real debate that has plagued mankind for years.

Do you reinstall a new flapper if they are missing.

Volvo recommends if you have flappers, remove them. Volvo also does not make motors with flappers.

My own opinion i don't have them, if i did i would remove them, and all my buddies have removed them.

What you do with your boat is your choice.

Was it Forest Gump's mother the one who said " stupid is what stupid does " ?

Did you miss the point of the question to?.What he does with his boat doesn't matter.You are all a lot of help but why are you defending his answer?.Stupid is what stupid does?.Do you all just stick together over stupidity?Give me a break please.A simple apology was all that was needed.Don't put yourself in that same boat(pardon the pun).

homerl

I feel I have to agree with homerl. I don't feel it is necessary to intimidate or belittle someone for asking a question. Sure, he didn't give a lot of details regarding his boat but then I read it as a general question, not specific to any. Either way, I don't think the initial response was fitting the question or the way it was asked. If I were a newbie to the forum, and I am, it would probably be the last question I asked. Just my opinion.

Ok maybe I was a bit Harsh..............

Bad bad me!!

I take it back.

He can keep his " " name if he wants........

As far as my tone goes................ya I should have had another cup of coffee this morning before I read his post...

I myself get tired sometimes reading a post (question) with little or no information.

I watch other posts as other spend a lot of posts trying to DRAG out information from someone who seems to assume that people on this or other boards know what is the details and background of an issue.

Oh well I will go sit in the corner for a while.............

:cool:

Kghost,no problem sir,but why bother answering a post with no information?.Or should I say little info.Heavens know I've asked a few.Anyways let's get on and answer more questions,and hopefully you'll answer one of mine if I ask.
Thanks homerl

Ding,Ding,Ding,everybody take a breath. We need to know a lot more when you ask a question. The link below will reflect that.
missing/dislodged flappers may create a overheat condition, a exaust restriction, a very hot Y pipe that can melt things.No need to get all uppity.You the question poster should provide all the info and symptoms before we can try to correctly answer your question.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=220416

Seriously... I never come on this forum and this is my first log in, in 2 months and I remember why... WHy the hell would I post everything? I'm not asking what is my problem half you clowns dont even do your own work... my question pertained to flapper valves and what are symtoms of stuck flapper valves not saying "help help you keyboard mechanics... I asked if it is possible for them to clog, fall apart etc.... sorry my previous experience with a flapper valve was on my toilet Jesus.. and yes I found a broken flapper lodged in the bottom of my y-pipe... and power washed a boat load of zebra muscles out..

FYI because Marine forums suck (Or just the supposid know it alls on this forum) I will only be posting my new engine build on the largest LS1 forum. (those who know, know)

For the non pompus know it alls that dont have a negative attitude and are stuck in the jurasic thought process period and are interested in what a boat should not be able to do. That are also curious as to what stuff I will break see the new engine build below so you can get a taste. The thread will start being posted in a month when the block comes back from the machine shop. As for the most common statement when people ask about performance mods for a 4.3L.. A SBC would be stupid becuase that is all you guys say on here is "Oh your wasting you money put a 350 in it...." People have no imagination and realistically have no clue what the heck they are talking about on here when it comes mods Marine or not an engine is an engine marine engines just need there power on a lower RPM with a broad flat torque curve.

A few of the fabulous goodies
4.3L block, Vortech Strim trim , water to air intercooler, Probe forged 4032 20.3cc dish pistons, eagle rods, existing "real 96+)vortech 4.3L cnc'd bowl/floor and exhaust port 2.02"/1.60" valves, custom cam powerband idle-5500 rpm and a demon blow through carb. max boost 12-15lbs.

Yes I plan on breaking things, no I dont care, I like spending money to learn about things.

BYE BYE www.marineengine.com...

Moderator please delete my user.

another great example why im favoring other forums for mercruiser/stern drive info - to much testosterone in here it makes u - wanna move along.. what a joke -

Can I ask an intelligent (I hope!) question: Does Mercruiser still use flappers in their newer systems?

Jeff (ducking for cover just in case)

another great example why im favoring other forums for mercruiser/stern drive info - to much testosterone in here it makes u - wanna move along.. what a joke -

Ayuh,.... 'n you only had to dig back 7 Years to find it,....

Another example of an antique thread surfer,....

Don't be too hasty...... there are only a few here who have a rather nasty and rude attitude!

Very interesting, but that thread is from 2010
Good catch........ and that was going to be my first comment.
Let's not dig up old threads and post to them. Let's let them die a peaceful death, and use them for archived info only.

Ayuh,.... 'n you only had to dig back 7 Years to find it,....

Another example of an antique thread surfer,....
:)

Back