Logo

SX Drive Removal 1999 240

nw_parrot

I have a 1999 SX outdrive on a Chapparal 240 Signature. I am trying to remove the outdrive and it will not slide out. I have removed the six bolts holding the drive and trim pistons and followed both the Seloc an Clymer manuals procedure. I am missing somethis or is it possible the spline is rusted to the engine output.

Re: SX Drive Removal

Quite possibly but those SX's can be a buggar to get off. Is it moving at all? If not, it's most likely is stuck at the splines but if it does come back some the interm piece is REAL tight coming thru the bellows area near the rear where it lips over for it's seal.

yes, u must first take off the front cover and unhook the shift cable from the linkage, just make sure u take it off and install it in neutral

The drive comes back about 5/8 inch and then won't move. I can see where there is a clean part with no corrosion on the shaft that goes through the gimbal bearing. The shift cable has been removed. Sound like it may be hanging up where the intermediate piece goes through the housing

Additional note, My local Volvo Penta parts dealer says they just cut them off with a torch when they can't get them free and replace them. I am trying to avoid the $400 for a new one.

Shift the drive into gear with the linkage on the back of the drive and rotate the prop which ever way it locks up while pulling back on the drive. I believe the interm piece is messing with you, they sure have done it to me. You may have to crank the engine with a remote if the driveline is still engaged. As long as the cable is undone and the shaft is moving this is the last thing I can think of. Useing the torch is only when the shaft is stuck in the gimble bearing.

I am not sure what to do next. I decided to remove the pivot housing bolts so I did not have to worry about the bellow restricting the u-joint from coming out. I am able to get the shaft out maybe 5/8" and then it stops I can see the first o-ring on the shaft and the shaft appears clean. Could the second o-ring have swelled and is not allowing the shaft to move past the o-ring?

Both O-rings stay in contact with the gimble bearing so I doubt that's the problem. The cable is disconnected from the shift mech??? Nothing else should be holding you back. I'm still betting on the interm piece going thru the rear of the bellows. I wish I could do more for you!!! 5/8" of an inch is a bunch for a problem with the shaft/gimble. Take your time and don't do anything foolish that will COST you, you'll figure it out!!!

I have removed the pivot housing bolts so there is no way the interim piece is causing the problem. It is being removed as 1 piece ( drive and pivot housing) the problem is at the shaft. The housing and the drive are totally free. The shift cable was disconnected

I had exactly the same problem. Make sure you remove the connecting pin (the thing the cotter pin goes in) on the shift cable. It is too large to fit through the passage on the outdrive.

I finally got it out. I kept soaking the shaft with penetrent and it finally started moving freely. I was then able to get it past the rubber bellows. Why in the world did they make that so tight. Just glad to have it out with no damage to the shaft.

yes, u need to lube the u joint carrier up really really good, the problem was when volvo bought OMC to make the SX drive, its a cobra drive with cone clutches

Great to hear all is out and OK!!! Now when it all goes back together don't spare the grease on any part that touches another part. Hope you don't have very much trouble going back together. Greas that inter piece up good that goes thru the bellows.

Back