Logo

1974 Johnson 70hp electricshift no spark on any cylinder

qhn

Regular Contributor
Hello All and hope to catch Joe Reeves or J.B w/some free moments here!
I am having on hand a Johnson 70hp. The model no. reads 70ESL74M. So, it's supposed to be a 1974. I am supprised that it actually has an electricshift system w/2 wires going into the lower unit. I look at the ignition diagram and more supprised that it's used only one ignition coil which looks like an auto one. It does not have any spark. I did a couple test following Joe Reeves' instruction helping other boaters out on this site (disconnect the black/white wire going into the big square box and test, jump the wire from positive starter solenoid to the big fat coil's positive and test, etc...) no spark whatsoever. Please help me by confirm whether this one is having an older powerhead and ignition system or is it a unique one that's all messed up by someone. Also, there are 2 wires cut off at the lower part of the powerhead. I have no idea what they are. Please help me with questions, comments, suggestion, anything will be highly appreciated. I can send photos for review if allowed.
Thank you.
Q.

With a Hydro Electric shift setup and a one coil ignition system, you DO NOT have a 1974 Johnson. At the very latest, it could be a 1971 60hp model but no later.

Normally, when those engines have 12 volts being applied to the pulsepack but still have no ignition, the problem is usually a failed pulsepack.

However, check to make sure that 12 volts is absolutely being applied to the pulsepack then double check the point setting as follows.

(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Some have points - Some do not)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at
:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Thank you very much Joe. I will do some tests/work this coming week and will contact you for the specific parts as needed. I need to get this one going. It's a great lesson to learn about these oddies.
I appreciate your help very much as always. Will be in touch!
Best regards,
Q.

Back