Logo

AQ 131 B no get up and go

cjk23

I have a aq 131 b 290 outdrive on a 21 ft imperial. Last year I was only getting 3500 rpms at wot. Afew days ago I took the prop off and straightened out some dents, also filled in some erosion spots on the blades. When I went to start the boat it would not start, so I took off the distributer and points and cleaned them up and then put in new plugs. It started. When I put it in the water and give it the gas it wants to bog down. If I ease into the throttle it will go, but only up to 2500 rpms. When i have it in N if i ease the throttle i can get it to rev up to 3000 rpms(didn't try to rev any higher than that). when its idleing it seems to be running smooth and even when i try to go thru the water. It feels like it wants to start going than pans out at 2500 rpms. Iyhought i had the plug wires on the distributer wrong so i swicthed them around. The boat then would sound rough or wouldn't start. I'm starting to think it is my outdrive or i did something wrong with the prop. I don't know.

Of all the points ignition systems to have point trouble with, these are among the most forgiving.... but I'd still set your points using a dwell meter, rather than gapping them.
You have 90* for the points to close, saturate, open and collapse the coil field for each cylinder.
I believe that the dwell should be 62* +/- 3* for your engine! Be sure to re-set initial timing and check TA!
(see your OEM manual for the specs)

Then move on to fuel related issues.... pick up tube screen, anti-siphon valve, fuel filter, etc.
Fuel lines can even have an internal breach or internal de-lamination causing a restriction.

I didn't rev the engine up last year while it was in neutral. The boat would go about 28mph at 3500 rpms wot. Igot the boat towards the end of the summer so I figured I would look into it this year and this is whre I'm at.

If the engine state of tune is holding it back from reaching WOT RPM, then there is little to fear, other than the frustrations of lacking performance.

But if the engine is in tune, and a poor propeller selection is holding you back from reaching the correct WOT RPM, then you need to address this immediately, IMO.

Always determine your propeller selection by performing a WOT RPM test per OEM specs....., and NEVER attempt a WOT RPM test if the engine is not in a good state of tune, hull clean, drive clean, ratio correct, and the boat loaded the way that you intend to use it for a given propeller!

These must all work together, or you will risk over-burdening your engine if over-propped.... regardless of the RPM you intend to run at!

Another "data point"...

I owned an 18 ft moderate V "runabout" with a Volvo 110. This was a light boat (about 2000#) same layout as my Lancer ( no "cuddy" or "head"). Your engine puts out 120 HP, mine did 110.

Top speed 30 mph... Engine was propped to get to factory RPMs.
You basically have almost the same engine on a larger (and possibly with more amenities. i.e. heavier per foot) boat.

Back