Logo

Emergency advise needed on a leaking pss dripless shaft seal !

JeffMB392

Slighty off topic however my 8.1 Crusaders are joined to this shaft!
Ok left for Catalina all was well got there took our mooring
went below. Bildge pump running. Pulled hatch.
Found my starboard PSS or PST or whatever the "dripless" shaft seals are called leaking, ok spewing water into the boat. The bellows looked cocked on the aft side (away from engine) leaking pretty good. I grabbed it wiggled it and it popped back in place and the leak stopped. I have not run the engine since. And I'm afloat at a mooring. Will this be ok to drive home or is there more of a problem I'm missing. PLEASE HELP!
Thanks
Jeff

"aft, away from the engine". As in the end that gets the double hose clamps to the log? THe bellows should not "pop into place" if it has clamps on it. Do you see a total of 4 clamps on each bellows (Stb and Port)?

is the bellows split and leaking at the split?

Like Dave said, the bellows shouldn't move if it is clamped.

Can you "drive home" - depends upon what the leak source is. I'd discourage trying if the bellows is split. New/recent install? If so, I'd call whoever did the job and ask them for their thoughts.

Try to recreate the leak by "recocking" it where it was. Is it leaking between the carbon collar and the shaft collar or in the bellows somewhere? They say replace the bellows every 5-7 years or something like that but I bet very few people do that. Is it possible you stepped on it as you were leaving the bilge by accident and didn't notice it? You would think if the bellows was split it would leak all the time. Its possible a big piece of debris got stuck in there and, as the shaft turned, it rotated the bellows to the position you describe but I don't know what that would be.

Ok all is well what appeared to happen was I hit a kelp bed with my starboard prop at about 3,000 rpm it slowed the engine then stalled it. The mechanic said the shock of the impact may have knocked the carbon to stainless disc seal. Checked the bellows no rips or tears. Checked preload all ok. I drove it back home. 3,300 rpm. Not a drip or a leak.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I just had a similiar experiance ( Sunday ) where my shaft got jolted and it sprung a leak around the Dripless Seal. In my case it was in the front between the Stainless Rotor and the Carbon fiber Ring. After getting it back into the marina, All I did was tighten the very front hose clamp and it stopped the leak. I talked with the manufacturer and he said this didn't make sense.
Which after studying how the seal operates... I totally agree. Did you ever reset the Stainless Rotor? Did you take any other precausions to assure the seal would not leak again?
Thanks,
Doug

There needs to be a 1" "preload" on that carbon seal to stainless rotor. With that preload force, I don't see how the bellows can sit cocked. I think you both have too little preload. I just put my second seal together in the last month; I do like these things.

I just bought a boat 2 years ago with the dripless shaft seals and I am finally beginning to get comfortable with them. If the collar slides forward or the bellows tear for whatever reason a boatload of water will come in. The old bronze stuffing box may leak but never enough to sink the boat. I bought zinc collars to put in front of the stainless collars to be sure they cant slide forward. Ok ok; I'm a worry wart--so sue me.

Call it fear of the unknown but this is why I have not yet switched to those dripless seals. Not being educated enough about them, I only have these stories to go by and I worry about enough stuff when I am out there. That 16 year old circumnavigation girl must have some set !

How bout that 16 year old?! She is impressive. I think naive better describes a 16 year old who wants to sail around the world alone than brave but the fact that she lived through her ordeal is impressive enough to me. Hopefully they will get there in time.

Back