Logo

2007 bf 225 hp alarm at idle

nikora27

Hey all, I have an 07 BF225 and several issues have arose:

1. After idling for 1 minute the alarm sounds until i kill the engine. Upon restarting it the alarm does not continue unless i let it idle for another minute. The alarm never sounds while i am underway.

2. At idle the engine sometimes vibrates and is very rough.

3. When shifting it engages very violently and sometimes makes a knocking noise.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 2007 bf225 alarm at idle

Is the alarm continueous, long intermittent, or short intermittent? If you have a 4-light panel, which lights come on when the alarm goes off? That will tell you where to start your diagnosis.

the alarm is short intermittent and i only have a 2 light panel. Also i forgot to mention that when i first start the engine and let it warm up for a few minutes the alarm does not sound. Only when the engine has warmed up does the alarm start to sound at idle and at low speeds.

Yep,that indicates water in the onboard fuel-water separator. If there is no water in there, then check the wiring to the sensor on the bottom of the bowl, and make sure the bowl is seated properly.

Hi, you have to check the service codes. Using SDS short connector or a short cable to bridge the DLC (Data Link Connector). Make a bridge between the black and light green. Check Mil blinks in the panel. Short blinks = 1 Long Blinks= 10. What is the serial number?

i checked the fuel-water separator and it is clean, no water. Also if there was water wouldnt it start beeping right away? The alarm does not sound when the engine is cold only when it has warmed up.

i checked the fuel-water separator and it is clean, no water. Also if there was water wouldnt it start beeping right away? The alarm does not sound when the engine is cold only when it has warmed up.

See what chawk_man says about the sensor too. might be worth checking the wiring. And well worth following gozalezmarine's instructions for checking the code. If you lift of the ECU cover you will find a red plug which although parked is not connected to anything. As he explains you short this and then turn on the ignition and watch your indicator and count the flashes.

If the connection seems okay, then the other possibility is that the float for the fuel-water separator sensor is stuck or sticking. Here is the procedure for checking (all covered in the workshop manual)...

1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove engine cover
3. Disconnect ALL connectors to the ECM
4. Disconnect the 2 prong connector to the filter and remove the wire harness from the clamp.
5. Clamp the two fuel tums and disconnect them from the filter.
6. Remove the fuel-water separator from its suspension harness.
7. Remove the three 5 X 12 mm pan screws and separate the cup from the body of the filter.
8. Check that the float moves up and down freely. If it doesn't, replace the fuel-water separator.
9. Check for continuity between the two male prongs on the wire coming out of the float sensor.
--- There should be NO continuity when the float is down.
--- There should be continuity when the float is up. Test by holding the sensor upside down.
--- If you do not get those results, then you need to replace the fuel-water separator.
10. On reassembly, be especially careful reseating the O ring. If there is any damage or compression, replace it. Torque on the pan screws is 2.5 ft-lbs.
11. Re install in reverse order. When reinstalling the separator, be sure the "I" mark in the suspension is aligned with the exit side of the fuel tube on top.

BTW - You may want to invest in a Helm shop manual for that engine. It has a wealth of information and will allow you to save many bucks on maintenance.

Back