Logo

New (old ) 1997 470 going in- WAIT!

20miler

Contributing Member
Well
I lowered a new 1979 Mercr 470 into the boat after pulling the old 1980. And while unplugging the old rrrripped the pins on the male shifter side of the harness. We are now missing the ORANGE and TAN pins. So I plugged her in and turned her over but got no spark and no reading from the temp.

So I stuffed the wires into the pons and tried to get her to run. Even with starting fluid. Nada

My question is- MUST we have the harness plugged in to start the engine? We tried 1- Hotwire directly to the coil and to the starter and nothing produced spark. Tried 3 different coils. 2 diff condensers, no spark. Ideas? Could it be the neutral shift switch ? I put black on black and brown on grey...:confused: What the heell? The old motor ran when pulled and the "new" ran before pulled so what is GOING ON? I will say that the color codes on the engine side harnesses are different but whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Last edited:
Re: New (old ) 470 going in- WAIT!

Does not need to be plugged it to fire the motor.At the coil brown, brown w/ stripe go to the + side. black and grey to the neg side.Check the points for proper operation.

New points that were run in the other motor. New Condenser, New Coils.

I am thinking shift kill on the plate. I just changed the shift cable. Any way to disable the shift kill? Shouldnt hotwiring coil still produce spark?

30 yr. old wiring is full of corrosion...time to replace harnesses.

The brown wire and the brown w/ stripe go to the pos side of the coil, the grey is the tach feed and goes to the neg side .did you install and set the points correctly?The shift interupter should have the roller in the V notch.remove everything from the pos. and neg. side of the coil except the black wire that goes to the dist. jump 12v from the battery to the + side of the coil.
What happens?

Back