Logo

Helm shop manual

finlander

Contributing Member
Helm tells me their manua; for my 15D is out of stock right now. My parts are on their way. Will any of the other manuals suffice? For an impeller installation? Can I find Helm manuals anywhere besides their site? I thought I'd have the book before the parts shipped.

The 8D, 9.9D, 15D, and 20D are basically the same procedure for water pump installation. You may want to pick up a Clymer Manual (normally less than $40). I would hope it covers the water pump installation.

I always recommend the Helm, but I would not pay for a 9.9D manual from Helm..for a 15D water pump.

The hardest thing is disconnecting and reconnecting (correctly) the shift shaft.
If the manual does not say...put the motor in reverse to disconnect the shift shaft rods.
It is hard to explain where it is... hopefully, the manual has a picture.

When you go to reconnect it, position the top of the bottom nut (small nut) about 1/3 inches from the top of the rod. Then rotate the top (long) nut down to it...then lock them together. If the setting is not right, your shifting will be messed up.

Overall, it is a pretty simple procedure as long as the bolts are not corroded in by salt, etc.

Mike

Thanks. I saw the message on the phone after the office had closed for the day. I will try them in the am to see how long it might take for one to be in stock. Nearest Honda full service dealer suggested another book other than the Helms that would walk me thru it. I might try the local boat place nearest the lake too. I have a few days off the week before Memorial Day and would like to tackle it then.

The BF15D was introduced in 2003. I just checked in the manual we as selling here. It is not included.

Here's a thought...go to your local dealer and offer to pay for a copy of that section of the manual. It is only 10 pages. Hopefully, you bought your parts from them. If not...pick up an oil filter, fuel filter etc to give them some patronage.

Mike

This might be one of those instances where the Clymer is better than nothing. I went to get my manual to fax you some pages and it has taken a walk. Hmmmmm. I hope I don't need it soon myself!

Last edited:
Maybe it's on Ebay!!! I have heard Seloc and Clymer might leave some info out, that might be there in the Helm. Lady at the nearby dealer could have a Clymer as soon as the next day. Not sure if the manual is sealed/shrink wrapped, whereas I cant peek inside before purchasing. Pictures would help in those books, for me anyway.

As I said before, the Clymer does not have any D model Hondas (8 - 20HP). I may come apart in a similar fashion, but the shift shaft is adjusted differently.

Mike

Back