Logo

Electric starter 1966 20hp

sammyc77

Hey guys, I have a 1966 johnson 20 hp outboard motor model# fd-20.I would like to know if it's possible to install an electric starter on this motor? :cool:

Thanks, Sam

Re: Electric starter

Yes. You will need the flywheel mounted ring gear ( if it isn't already there), the starter and its bracket. You could try to find a wiring harness or make your own.

Yes. You will need the flywheel mounted ring gear ( if it isn't already there), the starter and its bracket. You could try to find a wiring harness or make your own.

Thanks for the info. Do you know were I can get a starter bracket?

Thanks,Sam:cool:

Look to the usual places for the hard to find parts. Ebay, Craigslist, advertise on this site and aomci.org. Hopefully the bracket comes with the starter. Bonus if you get the harness with the starter. Maybe try to find a parts motor. Parts won't likely come cheap unless you stumble into a deal. If the kit was available new it would list at over $500.

Try a marine salvage yard. If you have a Boat Trader type magazine in your community, several usually list toward the back. You should be able to get everything you need reasonably from them.

I just run a wanted ad locally on "Craig's List". I'll see what I can find for you here in northern MN.....the land of 10,000 lakes and lotsa old outboard motors. Here in Duluth we are in the middle of outboard country.....its the best place to hunt them.

P.S. For instance I just bought a complete 20 Johnson with electric but lower unit needs work.........for $40. Usually the owner wants to "get rid" of the whole motor.

Back