Logo

Can cracked exhaust manifold be fixed?

film842

Contributing Member
It turns out that a used exhaust manifold from my AQ131A that I sold to another person has a hairline crack in it. It's not clear if the crack goes all the way through or not.

Is it possible that it could be fixed satisfactorily, or is that something that is never done?

It all depends on where the crack is located. Since the manifold is made in cast iron, alternative types of repair are brazing and arc welding with high-nickel rods. However, keep in mind that the manifold is made of cast iron and exposed to temperature changes, vibration and contact with salt water (that is, if you operate the boat in salt water). All these factors could negatively affect the repair. Also, if the manifold is say 5 years old or more, it is probably wasted away inside.

From my perspective, and as a general rule, an exhaust manifold is a non-serviceable item. Personally, I would probably replace it if the crack is a concern.

Here is the price for a new one from Marineengine

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-1930-1&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

you may also want to check eBay for new ones.

Kind of like patching a sock (I actually used something else as an example but thought it may be considered innappropriate). It can be done but not worth the hassle. Manifolds are replacement items and when fail they should be replaced rather than attempt a repair. Plus when they fail, they can take the motor along with them. They are not that expensive, I bought a new one for $250.

Last edited:
I've seen it all over the years about welding manifolds and the bottom line is, buy a new one and never buy a used one unless you are very familar with the engine it came from. I'm willing to bet that 95% of all marine engine failures are due to the exhaust manifold and many of those are because it was "repaired".

Last edited:
That was a wise and honest decision. Good for you!!!:D

But if the boat is in good condition except for this little thinguie, perhaps you could re-negotiate the price? Say knock it down around 50% of the price of a new manifold? Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
That was a wise and honest decision. Good for you!!!:D

But if the boat is in good condition except for this little thinguie, perhaps you could re-negotiate the price? Say knock it down around 50% of the price of a new manifold? Just a suggestion.

Well, there was no boat involved. I had bought a new Osco manifold ($250) off Ebay and since my old one seemed to be in pretty good shape, I sold it.

Refunding his money is the only reasonable thing to do since the crack makes it unusable. I'm also going to pass on to him what I've learned here which is that buying a used manifold is not a great idea and that he ought to probably do what I did...find the best deal he can on a new one.

As for me, I think I'll retire from the used manifold business...

e-Bay...... $250 BIN
!BsKtKc!!Wk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEvCKM+tU(BL20-gIL3!~~_35.JPG

Very cheap insurance against water intrusion and engine damage.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volv...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item414f220b6c

Back