Logo

1989 2.3 ltr OMC Ford overheating

phoenix12321

I have an 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3L OMC SOHC Ford 4 cylinder in it and its over heating. it seems like there is no water coming up from the stern. I have replaced the water pump, impeller, thermostat and various hoses but still there doesn't seem to be any water coming through the system. If anyone can give me an idea where a blockage might be or what other problem might be causing this, that would be a big help. Plus any schematics of the cooling system would be a huge help too.

Re: 2.3 ltr OMC Ford overheating

Try crowleymarine.com first then if you need parts get them from Andrew at this site. Crowey has great schematics

not to familar with the 4 cyl ford but can you flush from the engine back to the drive sounds to me like you have some water passeges clogged and allso check the water pump thats on the engine

Take the hose from the transom that goes to the t-stat housing (some of these have a power steering or oil cooler in line), remove it from the t-stat housing and holding it facing up start the engine and you should have 3 or 4 inches of water coming out, if not then the problem is in the out drive, could be a a problem between the upper and lower.

In the pic below the circled tube comes through the transom and the hose attaches to that right behind the engine and goes up to the t-stat

cobra.jpg

Last edited:

ok lets start with the basics. Pull the hose coming in the from the transom, with water going to the drive, hold the hose straight up, got good water shooting up about 12 inch's ? Yes move on down the line till you get to the obstruction.

Could be the heat exchanger, clogged up. Could be the t-stat frozen half closed. Point is to keep moving down the line till you get to it.

bob beat me to it bye 3 minutes he types faster then me i use 2 fingers.

haha...I only use 2 as well (not on the same hand) and some days they get out of sync with each other so I don't know if I'm coming or going

And bob notice how i didn't start bashing the 2.3 motor. I mellowed out when i just turned 55.

Is that what happens when you turn 55? How long ago did that happen, I'm going to try it this October but if I don't like I'll just stay at 54 :D

Thanks for all the answers. I found the problem. It was the hose that connects from under the impeller to head into the engine. i guess that over time with raising and lowering the stern drive, the hose came loose from its mountings. Easy fix. Thank you for all your help!!

I posted a new thread with a new problem if anyone is interested in taking a look. I could use all the help and knowledge I can get!!

Back