Logo

1988 88 hp johnson still won't idle

walkinsick

I have a 1988 j88. It has great spark, good compression, new fuel, lines, abd carbs have been rebuilt. Starts easy, but will not idle below 1800. Motor will shudder and die. HELP

Re: 88 hp johnson still won't idle

Good compression..... should be approx 100+ psi and even on all cylinders.

Great spark..... with spark plugs removed, spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!

Is this what you have? If so, I'd suspect something is still amiss in the carburetor department.

Compression is 125+ on all 4 cylinders. spark jumps 20mm gap with a real snap. fuel pump works fine. can't figure this one out.

I've no idea what 20mm is in comparison to 7/16" but I'll assume they're close to being the same distance?

The throttle butterflies should just start to open and close when the scribe mark on the cam is aligned dead center with the throttle cam roller. If this function is as it should be, that would lead me back to the carburetors.

20mm is about 3/4 of an inch. carb settings look like what you describe. I have bee around motors all my life. This has me stumped. thanks for the help.

I had the same problem with mine, not saying this will fix yours but i had to replace the power pac, when it was installed it ran better than it had it months, just a idea hope it helps in some way....mine was a 1993 88hp evinrude

Back