Logo

Yamaha prop on Honda engine? Good idea?

sea_lion

I've got these leftover refurbed yammie props that I feel perform better than the factory given Honda ones. They are 3 blade 11 5/8 x 11G where the Hondas are 4 blade 10.8 x 12. I've already seen cavatation burn on the hondas and one even threw a blade off the other day. Is mixing props a bad idea? The shaft hardware needs to remain consistent with the company due to spacing, but other than that they fit ok.

Side topic, 3 v 4 blades? Any thoughts on superiority? I'm running BF50s on Zodiac Mark V HDs. Pretty fully loaded, and I've already noticed the 3's get up on plane better, but the 4's have a better top speed, but may not plane.

Thanks for any opinions.

I have nothing to offer as to the brand of props other than if they fit, you can probably use them. Otherwise, I think Michigan Wheel wouldn't still be in business.

As to the four vs. the three bladed prop;
Your better hole shot probably comes from the additional 1" of diameter of the three blade you listed. Your top speed is improved with the additional 1" of pitch in your four blade. It is trying to propel the boat further forward for each revolution. However, a too aggressive pitch on a heavily loaded prop will cause slippage and that may be where your "cavitaion burn" is taking place.

Number of blades is usually a question of balance. You will get less vibration resulting in less wear and tear on the transmission from a four or five bladed prop as opposed to a three. Of course, two are the worst and usually aren't found anymore except in low speed applications.

re: "aren't found anymore except in low speed applications."

or on extremely high speed ones as well, i.e., unlimited hydroplanes, Jersey Speed skiffs, and "speed boats" using Arneson drives...etc.

I did not know that! Yep, it's true. I found some unlimited hydro photos from the 09 season and, sure 'nuff, some of the boats are sporting shiney, poslished, two bladed props!

Must be a part of that "whole other world you can make out of the stuff I don't know" that my old pappy was always telling me about;~).

Thanks for the input, ya'll. The yamahas are working really well so far. I've in the past preferred a 3-blade since we are working with such heavy loads. Speed is less of an issue than power. Sometimes we are hitting 5-6 kt currents and need to get past them with full boats.

Back