Logo

318 Fuel Pump - electric versus mechanical

bberg8

My 1974 318 came with a mechanical fuel pump, the last owner installed an electric pump and bypassed the original. Which set up is better?

Click on the "search" icon on the tool bar on the screen. The tool bar is horizontal and commences with "User CP" Type in "electric fuel pump". Select threads or post . Then click "advance search".

Which is better? Both have their virtues: mechanical pumps are very long lived, but you have to crank the heck out of the starter before they fill up an empty carb bowl (common in boats that sit for a while). The electrics are not as reliable (though close, and one can always carry a spare) and they CAN be rigged to fill the carb bowl before cranking the starter.

One important caution: Per USCG regulations your new electric pump MUST be wired through the oil pressure switch, to shut it off if there's a gas leak (that would also kill the motor when it runs out of fuel). Since this circuit also removes the advantage of an electric pump (see above) smart guys add a bypass switch to run the fuel pump before hitting the starter.

Jeff

USCG regs require solid line between fuel pump and the carb annd most electric pumps have slip on hose fittings. Is the pump marine approved? Why not leave it the way Chrysler designed it with the reliable mechanical pump? So what if you have to crank it a little before it fires, all you are doing is pre oiling it.

Dan

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I am not sure if it is marine approved and it was not wired correctly. I turn the key and it is on. I think I will go back to stock and keep the electric as a backup.

Back