Logo

Engine Question

gvsu141

I just got a steal of a deal on a boat with a 350 in it, but it had issues. The boat was not winterized. I knew it had a cracked block and manifolds, but apon further inspection I also found out it had visible cracks in the heads. I have a set of manifolds and heads off a marine 305 parts motor. The block was cracked in the same exact spot it was JB Welded by the previous owner. The oil looked nearly new, but will not run as is to check further.

I really don't want to spend the time swapping the heads/manifolds if i am going to get water in the oil and have to pull the whole engine later. Do you guys recommend I just throw in a new engine, or swap heads/manifolds/JB weld again and see what happens? I am very time and money limited.

time to get another engine. You have nothing worth a core charge so the choice of a long block and a parts switch vs a new, turnkey package is driven by your budget.

You may want to consider a used running takeout.

a bunch ways to go from here. Buy a new crate motor from gm, and buy new mani's and risers in a kit, some are as low as 400 american dollars with all gaskets, risers, and mani's, in one box delivered. Or -

Buy a used lowest milage 350 out of a junk yard and switch over the good risers and externals.

Or buy a complete used marine motor. Fresh water used if possible.

So say you pay with shipping a new crate motor from gm, 2,000 + 500 for mani's risers, kit. Say it's 3,000 total cause you might have to get marine gaskets, and change out the new motor casting plugs to brass.

Now your good to go for a long, long time if you take care of it. Winterize correctly, and flush after every use.

Remain is another option: however now your buying a used motor anyway. And depending on the builder could be a cluster f--k from the get go.

I helped people do it all the way's i mentioned and the happiest, easiest, and most secure way is of course new stuff.

After many years of boat ownership, I realized that there is a very real dollar penalty to be assigned to the boat not running "in season"... If you are married, there are "additional factors". This I am saying after owning several boats that spent some or all of more than one boating season "on the hard" ( and running up rent on unused slips) ... usually in the interest of "saving money".
Being low on available time and available $$$ is a tough place to be.

When I re-engined my Lancer in 2006 I went with a factory new engine.

i don't know what a great deal it was for you, but the motor in the boat i got for free, cause i wanted the trailer, was running just fine still cost me over 2 thousand before i got it on the water.

Free ain't free, and cheap never winds up being cheap.

Back