Logo

GFO packing - any of you guys use?

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I finally got my boat in the water on Saturday. Couple of start up issues but with all of the stuff I've done, I guess that's to be expected.

I repacked with GFO (1/4", 1.25" shaft which I verified is correct). Went for a short ride (less than a mile) after pulling away from the sling. NO water dripping and shafts got really hot. Of course I couldn't find my IR gun to get an actual temp but one side felt like a stove and the other was a little cooler but you couldn't keep your hand on it.

I originally tightened snug by hand and then locked in place. Can you back these off and try again or is the packing shot now? I thought they would leak a lot at first and then slow down after an hour or so. There was some water under the shaft hose but no noticeble dripping that I could see.

I guess these need to be really loose to start?

Bob

Bob.

I remember Mark telling me that the GFO can be "abrasive" for lack of the correct word and that while I use it, I did start out rather loose and it started to drip enough to spray water rotating off of the shaft. We eventually used nealy a 1/2 turn tighter to get it to drip about 3-4 times a minute at cruise. The shafts can be held after running but they are warm. My guess is that it is not engine heat but on a warm day that entire small space is a broiler. I do know several users of GFO and ALL of them are very pleased with the stuff.

I would NOT think that the compression creates a permanent shape and if you loosen it, you can likely re-adjust. BUT...What the hell do I know about the technical aspects of this material

I don't remember an "abrasive" commentary, but do remember something in one of the ABYC docs about the concern for galvanic activity between the graphite and the stainless.

That said, it is in my stuffing boxes, too. I started "snug by hand" which isn't too tight as my old hands are rather small. Probably added between 2 and 3 flats after that. Last time I checked it running they were as Al described.

I'd be inclined to back them off and see what happens. Worst case is the hot one glazed and will have to be repacked.

I hope your coupling alignment is correct so that your shafts aren't rubbing on the metal in the stuffing box. THAT will also generate lots of heat.

Jeff

PS: I also use the Teflon stuff and it works great!

That's why I mentioned it was not the correct word. Mark, you did mention something about it NOT being recommended somewhere..I just can not remember. I do remember we discussed that the stuff did work well. AND since I am not in the water yet, I am going to repack them this year ...again with GFO.

I gotta tell you, this boat thing is getting to be too much of a full time job over the few months of fun we get here in the northeast. My cousin in Florida hauls his boat out every 2 years if it is just routine stuff and he believes the more frequent use helps keep it "young" and running well. I think if I use it too much , I'll have even more maintenance

I think the boat is like the body... no exercize will lead to deteriation. Over the 22 years that I have had my boat there have been long periods that I had to lay it up (in the water with no use). I always came back with a long list of things that needed to be replaced or repaired. Since I am in Pickwick Mississippi with warmer climate and am retired I can boat almost 2 or 3 days each week. This means I have time to work on the small things. My major problems seem to be behind me. With all the exercize, my boat is younger than I am. It has not been out of the water since 2002 but it is getting ready for a bottom job.

Chuck Hanson

There you go....Proof Positive ! Thanks for the idea Chuck .... I should just hang it all up and go live on the boat :) You can call me AL BUFFETT !

Back