Logo

1985 6hp evinrude Model e6rcob - lower unit "leak"

MarkDesMeules

I was informed that there is no gasket between the lower (prop) unit and the upper unit. There is a small dribble of oil coming from the connection between the lower and upper unit. Just above and forward of the filler screw. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair this leak?
Thanks

Re: 1985 evinrude Model e6rcob - lower unit "leak"

Are you speaking of the joint between the skeg (fin) and the upper portion of the lower unit...... that is the joint that devides the propshaft and gear assembly. the portion that is attached with a half dozen screws?

Hmmm.....I just realized that there is actually a small hole on either side that the "oil" is coming out of. I was running very rich when I started the motor (lots of blue smoke) and that may be the source of the dribbling oil out of these holes.

Almost certainly just unburnt oil from the fuel. Normal!
Correct there is no gasket

BTW the screw is the level screw .. you fill (and drain) via the bottom one.

Depending on what oil you run, 50:1 on petrol base oils and up to 100:1 on premium grade synthetic such as my favorite....Amsoil. I troll always with my 1966 Evinrude, use it religiously now @ 64:1 (2oz per gallon) on Amsoil. In 30 years of burning the "spam" it still runs perfect. Don't worry about Amsoil......you can be assured it is the best out there.

Back