Logo

gas and smoke at startup 20090 50 hp

sea_lion

I've got two 2009 BF50s that both occasionally kick out a lot of white smoke, smells rich, at startup, and then leave pools of gas or other effluent for the first few minutes. The effluent is grey, so not oil, but I believe unspent fuel. Oil levels are right on, and spark plugs aren't all that old. Does anyone else have this happen? They run in different climates, and it happens both in tropical and cold weather.

Most of the effluent is coming out of the primary coolant exhaust, I believe.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: gas and smoke at startup

This happened to me. I am not sure what caused it but to rectrify I made sure that my fuel tank breathers were working and that i didnt transport my boat over any distance with fuel lines conected. I think there was pressure going on and filling the cylinders or something and then it came out when I started and warmed the motor. Didnt ever do it once it was warm, only on initial start.

Is there a black stain near the exhaust port or oil leaking out there? That might be a lead. or if you take the cover off, is there fuel floating around in there?

Anyway hope you sort it out,

Chris

Re: gas and smoke at startup

We haven't stowed them on sides since new, but always on the correct side. However, nightly they are stowed on deck with one boat stacked on top of the other, and it takes a bit of tilting finesse to fit them, since the boats lose air overnight. They also just suffered through a positioning from Costa Rica to Alaska, so a lot of shake up was surely happening.

I changed the upper and lower unit oils yesterday, and the oil coming out of the gearcase was dark blue and smelled of burnt oil. Lots of metal shavngs also. Couldn't tell if there was water infiltration or not, I've never seen it that dark before.

Back