Logo

Chrysler Marine 270 drive. OIL?

yago

Have a 120aq volvo penta engine coupled to a Chrysler 270 drive. Bought boat late in season last year ran it only for about 10 minutes, water pump blew. Stored for winter, got out this summer and fixes everything. Drained oil from drive. It is engine oil, a multi-weight it seems . Maybe a 10/40. I cannot find what goes in it. Does avyone know the correct lube that it takes. I know it is 5G rated. Thanks. It is a 1978 setup.

First off, you may get a better answer posting the same Q in the volvo penta area.

The gear should take Gear Oil. They are rated (numbered) using a different standard than that used for engine oil. The API rating is GL-5, not 5G. I'd use 80W-90 or 75W-90, depending upon what's available in your area. Around here, even WM stocks outdrive oils.

FWIW, and not to question Mark as he knows a heck of a lot more than I....

But, I owned and old Volvo AQ 130 with a 270 out drive and I can tell you for sure the manual called for motor oil in the out drive. I remember filling a number of times and thought it was really strange but that is what it took.

It was, by far, the best I/O I ever owned. It was absolutely trouble free for 10 years and shifted so smooth with no grinding or stalling EVER. it was in a 1973 Larson bow rider!

JD

Back