Logo

help with basic tune up

roncog

I'm new to this and new to boats. i have a johnson 9.5 hp (mq-14e) that needs a tune up.

i have ordered the coils, points and condensors from this site. i am hearing a lot about making sure the timing is not thrown off when i replace the points.

anyone have any suggestions to help me from completely screwing this up?

also, can anyone please help me with some instructions on changing the oil?

thanks!

when u set the points at .020 u have set the 'timing'...provided flywheel keyway is positioned right...very simplethe secret to points,is CLEAN/oil free.
also,if u do a search on this site...u will find all u need...

Changing the gear oil.

With motor standing upright remove the drain and level screws ( identical broad slotted head screws) Do not remove the other smaller screw! Allow all the oil to drain.
If the unit has no leaks the oil should come out "clear and bright". If its milky it is due to water ingress which must be investigated and remedied.

Refill using a squeezable bottle, or a special pump, via the drain hole until it flows from the top. refit the top screw, remove the bottle/pump and quickly refit the drain screw.
You should use new seals on the screws.

Oil is a high viscosity (around SAE 80W90 EP) outboard gear oil.

Points and timing.
As said above provided the flywheel key is fitted Ok the correct gap will set the timing correctly. Set the gaps when the points are open at their widest . There may be a mark on the cam. Must be scrupulously clean ... no finger prints even.

Correct setting is when the feeler gauge can be drawn between the points with just a slight drag.

Positioning of the coils is important. Suggest you carefully mark the positions before you remove the old ones. Tighten the flywheel nut to the correct torque.

Last edited:
(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

thank you all for you help-I sincerely appreciate it.

I hate to ask this, but when i got my tune up kit, included were felt pad and what looks like two small diodes. when i took the old points off, there were no felt pads or anything that remotely looks like a small diode.

can anyine tell me what these are?

thanks again to all...

Standing in back of the engine, facing the armature plate and having the coils located so that one coil is in front, there should be a small clip type thinggy under the starboard (right) right side of the forward coil. This would be between the coil and the armature plate, secured by the inside starboard (right) retaining screw.

The felt that you speak of is retained by this clip and its purpose is to keep the fiber rubbing portions of the points lubricated so that they do not wear out.

Small diode looking things? If felt is not lubricated, my guess would be that those capsules contain lubricant to press into the felt. Don't overdo it though.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Great advices! Going in for an oil change or for vehicle maintenance can often mean getting upsold on other goods. Engines, when maintained to factory specifications or close, often do not need additional maintenance. An engine flush is often an offered service that most engines simply do not need.Source of article: The basics of an engine flush

Back