Logo

1986 4.3 starter problem.

wblazer

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,

Have a 1986 4.3 that I am having trouble starting. Had problems starting at times last season. Installed a new starter last week. Put batteries in boat and tryed to start, it would not crank. Both batteries are old but reading around 12.4 volts. I also installed a new slave solenoid.When I try to start voltage on the slave solenoid is around 8 volts. I put an amp meter on the battery cable and it does not show any amp reading when trying to start. Do you think I have two bad batteries even though they show over 12 volts.The trim pump, blower etc. seem to work with out any problem. Thanks for any help given.

Re: 4.3 starter problem.

Try shorting the main solenoid on the starter, if nothing happens then check the battery cable, cable ends on both the pos and neg especially the block connection

BT Doctor,

Thanks for your help. Just to confirm that I am doing this wright. I have a piece of #6 wire jump ,across the main starter terminals. Key in off position and the starter will just turn while i have the jump connected. The engine will not start is this correct?

from the main battery cable connection to the small lug closest to the engine block
key off

Pic202.jpg

shorting the main solenoid tests the main battery cable connections and starter
if it now works, locate the slave solenoid and short the 2 big lugs, starter turns when shorted but nothing with the key, bad slave or no power to small lug on slave.

Bt Doctur,
I think I have the starter wired wrong. If this drawing is the same for the old style starters and the new smaller units, which I have. I connected red/ yellow wire to the small lug away from the block. I thought the one closest to the block was the negitive connection. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

The small lugs are solenoid (S) and relay (R) the yel/red coming from the slave is connected to the lug closest to the block.The lug away from the block was/is used to supply cranking voltage to the coil for starting only.

Bt Doctur,

Thank you very much for your help. I have to take Mom and the kids out for Mothers day dinner. I will switch the wire tomorrow and will be good to go. Will post results.

Bt Doctur,

Got back to work on the boat today. I did as you suggested and connected the jumper form the battery to the terminal closest to the block. The solenoid only clicks, still no crank. I also tried it with a new battery from my truck.I did a continuity check on all the cables all seemed good even the one from block to battery. I turned the engine with a ratchet wrench it seemed to move ok. What do you think my next step should be. Thanks for your help.

The battery is connected to the battery cables and you used a jumper wire at the starter terminals?
Still sounds like a bad connection somewhere.Making sure there are no gas fumes present and using a set of good battery jumpers . Connect the red side from the main battery lug on the starter (where you hook up the battery cable end) and scratch the other red side to a known ground, you should get a big ,fat ,spark.If not ,it`s a battery cable connection trouble

I did as you instructed, no spark. I checked the ground from the riser to the battery negative and it was good I attached a wire with a ring connector on the riser. Then checked voltage at the starter positive connection reading was 12.4 volts. Attached a jumper cable to the starter terminal that had the voltage then touched the riser ground cable that I attached, no spark. What do You suggest I do now .Thanks for your help.

voltage witout current means a partially open connection.Had the same issue with a GM van, the neg cable was corroded internally,new battery ,new starter and nothing.
quick test of the cables is to remove them from the starter and block.touch them together and they should spark, if not touch the red one to the neg battery terminal ,not the connector.spark, it`s good, no spark ,its bad.Do the same for the neg cable.Touch it to the pos battery terminal , not the connector.should spark.
The "no spark " one is the bad cable.
pm`d my cell

Whoooooaaaaa! Sparks around a battery is down right dangerous. The gas emitted by a battery can ignite from a small spark and cause the battery to explode. One can be blinded and disfigured by the acid. DON'T DO IT!

Thanks Guys for the help. Changed all battery wiring and battery selector switch. Started first shot. Cables ends did not look bad, cut off the insulation and it had green streaks. Thanks again.

Back