Logo

Cracked Head 350 Mag.

TMRoper1669

Yep I did what everyone never wants to do I waited too long to winterize the boat (swore I would never do that HAHA) now it seems as though I have a Cracked head. Is there performance head I can replace these with at a good cost? Where can I get them or replacement heads?

how does it "seem as though" you have a cracked head?

never seen a non-winterized engine have only a cracked head.
The heads are usually fine
the block and exh manifolds are destroyed when a boat freezes.

how does it "seem as though" you have a cracked head?

never seen a non-winterized engine have only a cracked head.
The heads are usually fine
the block and exh manifolds are destroyed when a boat freezes.

As part of my winterizing practice I change the oil, then stall the motor using a cylinder sealant. When I finially got around to winterizing it this past winter I started the motor to allow it to warm, motor started and ran fine, when I turned and observed the motor running I noticed water shooting from the starboard side nest to where the exh manifold bolts on, when I closer examined it for as much as I can tell it is the head. It has captain call exhaust so it a little crowded in there. There are drain plugs at the bottom of the exh. manifold, so I am thinking the water set right at the head. Although I will try and begin tearing it down today. I will respond once I have it apart.

there is a casting plug under there ! Like a said slow down find out whats wrong we can go from there .

And please don't beat yourself up over this i don't know one guy who hasn't made a mistake.

The thing is you must learn from mistakes.

Got a torque wrench ?

there is a casting plug under there ! Like a said slow down find out whats wrong we can go from there .

And please don't beat yourself up over this i don't know one guy who hasn't made a mistake.

The thing is you must learn from mistakes.

Got a torque wrench ?

Thanks for the motiviation, you are right. Got some good news and some bad news, got the starboard head pulled off today it's cracked. The block on that side looks good can't see anything. Bad news is pulled oil filter housing off to check the port side it also is cracked can't observe the block on that side yet figured I would get some heads coming and look it over once port head is removed. Is it possible to use VORTEC heads on it? Any Ideas on some good heads?

You can use Vortec heads and you'll notice a real improvement in performance. If you have a 12 bolt intake you will need to replace it with the newer 8 bolt model.

So Vortec Heads will work if I switch to a 8 bolt manifold, does the manifold have to be marine? Whats the difference I thought it was only the gasket that made it marine.

Basically the only thing marine on a motor such as yours is the ignition, Gaskets, carberator, starters, engine water pump, altenator, flame arrestor and exhaust manifolds.

The basic engine components are the same as automotive. block, heads, intake manifolds (some vaccum threaded ports on the intake will have to be plugged).

WHat ever you need to repair/replace your damage all you will need to do after installation is bolt on your original parts such as water pump, brackets and accesories.

Basically the only thing marine on a motor such as yours is the ignition, Gaskets, carberator, starters, engine water pump, altenator, flame arrestor and exhaust manifolds.

The basic engine components are the same as automotive. block, heads, intake manifolds (some vaccum threaded ports on the intake will have to be plugged).

WHat ever you need to repair/replace your damage all you will need to do after installation is bolt on your original parts such as water pump, brackets and accesories.

OK thanks thats good to know. So at best I should go with Vortec Heads for a small block and A 8 Bolt Intake, instead of the original 217 casting number heads? If I went with the vortec heads and 8 bolt intake everything will bolt right up?

Yep I did what everyone never wants to do I waited too long to winterize the boat (swore I would never do that HAHA) now it seems as though I have a Cracked head. Is there performance head I can replace these with at a good cost? Where can I get them or replacement heads?
i have an xtra set if interested

Back