Logo

running near oil spill

toons

I'll be passing through Mobile Bay from the north towards the Intracoastal heading east to FL in about 3 weeks. Have a 2010 Yamaha F250 and wondering the effects on the engine of running through an oil sheen near a spill? Am hoping CG does not close the Bay prior to my passing through. Thanks for any input on this.

If you can't follow the last suggestion, dig out your owners manual and see the section which deals with flushing the motor after traveling through dirty/polluted water.

Additionally, keep a close eye on your temp gauge (if equipped) while running. If some of that "gunk" clogs your water intake (or the water tube/water channels in the powerhead) you will fry your engine in short order....

This oil spill looks bad for the FL.Keys also with the loop current maybe bringing it to us. Maybe I should trade my outboards for an inboard? It is sad John

Quite simply, dont do it. If you're thinking it will be just like having an oil-rich gas mixture, it wont. This is not refined motor oil, and it will be getting sucked into your water intake, not your gas tank.

Crazy if you intentionally drive thru that stuff.

Back