Logo

intake manifolds

Roid

Is there a way to use any other intakes on the 307Q's other then just Chris Craft? Also seems that both of them cracked last winter, any used available or repair service?

It is very common to find them cracked. You must add anti-Freeze in the manifold. Find a good welder to repair them. Good used ones are usually $300-UP. It would be complicated to re-plumb the motor for new manifolds. Fuel pumps and distributors would also have to be changed.

I'm not sure the 307Q's have this, but on my 327F's I ended up sealing off the exhaust passage on the manifold used for preventing carburator icing. The passages were a magnet for rust and were causing the engine block to overpressurize once the rust broke through to the manifild itself. If you repair/replace your manifolds I would check to see if this same passage is present and if so, there is a blockoff plate kit avaialbe to prevent futere problems from rering their ugly heads.

Dave

The Q motor and F motor use entirely different intakes, and the gent is right, you must carefully remove a large nut on the Q and remove the water pocket, and also a very good idea to add antifreeze. Otherwise they will freeze and crack. When this fails it will add water to the oil sump. On the F motor the overpressure situation noted in the previous post is caused by a leak or rust hole, or crack in the exhaust crossover, not the water system; and these two issues are entirely different.

good luck,

DS

I'm reading along here, and I am seeing that I'm not familiar with this intake manifold.
I'm curious......, would one of you please post a few photos?

I will suggest that you/we be very careful when adding Antifreeze to protect a Raw Water cooled Marine Engine from freeze damage!
Antifreeze dilution from residual sea water may pose risks.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the Q intake, note the specialized marine-only water port and tilt of the carb base. This is a result of Chris-Craft turning the motor around backwards in order to keep the flywheel forward, allowing closer tolerance to the bottom of the boat at the transmission, etc.

Qintake-1.jpg

Regards,

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, thanks for taking the time to post that image for me.
I've no doubt seen this before and likely paid little attention to it.

I can now see why you need this exact replacement!

Back