Logo

Spun cylinder sleeves

Forseti

Ok .. here is the problem. I have a Johnson J50DTLEOS 50 HP outboard. My brother took it out and it overheated bad. After it cooled down it wouldn't start. I pulled the cylinder head and piston sleeve #2 and #3 have spun about 1/4 clockwise in the block. I have done a search and I cant find replacement sleeves for it and the local marine shop cant either. Has anyone tried to heat the block back up and try to rotate the sleeves bad to their proper position? Can it even be done ? I don't want to trash the entire power head ... the rest of the parts are perfect.

jwbmarine .... I went to the link you provided ..... the only section I could get in for parts did list and cylinder sleeves for my motor ..... is that what you wanted me to look at ?

The problem is that I cant find anyone that makes a sleeve for a 1995 Johnson 50HP 3 cylinder and according to a local boat shop they aren't made for some reason. So the only option is to either fix the current sleeves or rash the entire motor ... and I don't have 1,900 for a new one...........

JWB..... I also went to the site of http://mar-fab.com/ . It appears that unless one is a dealer (I no longer am as you know), the machine work area is off limits. Do you know for sure if they have the 1995 50hp Johnson sleeves. How would "Forseti" go about having his block/sleeve problem corrected?

no i dont know for sure,just posted that if he wanted to call them,but,..actually,...he needs to go thru a shop to use them..my mistake..

I was told today that the 1995 Johnson 50, 55, 60, and 70 HP engines used the same block so I should order sleeves for a 60 HP .... That sound right to any of you ?

go over to-- shop.evinrude.com to the parts diagrams and review the parts...u have 2 and 3 cyl blocks u r talking about,...so,they dont use the same block...

I have a 3 cylinder 50HP. I have been to that parts diagram site and nowhere do they list the cylinder sleeves. And the 50, 60 , and 70 HP models use the same block #436908.

ah,yes,....i have dealt w/a cpl of those.....they r just de-tuned 70's in my opinion.........and were fr belgium,..etc,not in usa.....if it lists the same block,then the sleeves are the same...

if u do,find and order sleeves,..they may or may not come ported already....then,u would still,.....need a machine shop...thats what i would be looking for,..near you,...an outboard/motorcycle machine shop.

Back