Logo

gas mix ratio for 5.5 and 10hp johnson 1957

Re: gas mix ratio for 5.5 and 10hp johnson 1950's

Prior to 1964, OMC recommended 24:1 for all models

Re: gas mix ratio for 5.5 and 10hp johnson 1950's

I should have added something to my original post (must be getting old and forgetting things) :)

If you have original gas lines "under the hood" you may want to consider replacing them.

Some of the rubber produced before the 1970's doesn't get along so well with (alcohol) ethanol blended gas.

For the cost of a few bucks worth of gas hose it's not worth taking the chance...

OK I'm an old chainsaw guy. I do not like to guess mix. My husky and johnsered all 50;1. I always do pre-mix. No guessing.
Now I have a Johnson Seahorse CD-19S outboard motor. Some places it says it is a 1962 some places 1964? So which is it? AND
the mix says 24:1 plus I heard 50;1. Pulling my hair out.
Now I found out my shifter don't go into
neutral . and maybe my water pump peller might be bad. So I'm looking to find instructions
on how to replace the water pump.

Any help be very welcome.

How can there be an argument when you have the model # ----It is a 1962.-----Power head has to be removed ( 7 screws and some hoses ) in order to disconnect shift rod.------Sounds like the shifter piece on the end of the handle is broken.----All easy to do on these wonderfully simple motors

Right on Racer. I run 50:1 on mine with Amsoil Saber and non oxy. This is a bushing motor. On needle bearings as well as all my chain saws I run 2 oz. per gallon.....64 :1. Haven't burned up an outboard or saw in 40 years. Got 041 AV my very first saw.....cut 100's of cords of oak......right here to prove it.....want a video? Raquel and Tim's Timber Duluth MN since 2000. Before that Tim's Firewood and Repair.....since 1973.
Run a ms 880, 660, 064, Homelite 925 xl, 410, 90 Jonserud, and big Olympics, smaller saws include some Huskys and Partners. Going for high torque lower rpm as you can see......I'm a "chainsaw guy". The John Deere CS 81 is actually an Italian made Olympyc. 81cc. Beauty of a saw. Also have a Philippines 08 Stihl......German powerhead surrounded by China plastic. Over 100 CC's......brutal powerhouse, best used for ripping lumber......heavy but big power. Designed for ripping.

Last edited:
Back