Logo

Yamaha 1994 200hp power head removal - help

mills

Contributing Member
I have a 94 yamaha 200txrs and i need to remove the power head in order to replace my rusted out steering arm assembly. I disconnected everything and removed the 10 bolts holding the power head. Only snapped one bolt off! The motor has been used in salt water all the time and thus it seems to be "salt stuck". I put my hoist on the power head and attempted to lift it off, but it would not budge. I was starting to lift up the boat! Any tricks on how to get it off and separated?? Thanks .......al

Re: Yamaha 200hp power head removal - help

Have a firm mount on the power head and lift until the boat starts to raise, then use HEAT on the one area where the broken bolt is routed. This is the easiest way, let the weight of the boat create the pressure that is needed to free power head.

Re: Yamaha 200hp power head removal - help

I finally got it off. I first used a crowbar on one of the front studs and then it broke free on one side, then I had to rock it back and forth till the bolt broke off between the collar and Powerhead. Then I spent about 3 hours getting the stuck bolt out of the collar. Never realized how salt can seal things in! Now the collar does not want to come off. I "assume" that it must come off to take the steering arm off....right??

Back