Logo

How to test fuel pump

FreeLancer

I have a 1970 Lancer with the 307-QLV engine. It's been a while since it's been on the water. While the engine will start and run smoothly if I provide fuel directly to the carb, it appears the fuel pump is not working. Is there a way to test the fuel pump? Or is there a trick to priming the system?

When you crank the engine with the fuel line disconnected from the carb, do you get any flow from the pump? If yes, then you will need to check the pressure the pump develops to make sure it is within spec. (I don't know what that spec is, but I'm sure someone on here does) My advice would be to go ahead and get the fuel pump rebuilt just to be on the safe side (you probably want to do the same with the raw water pump, especially if the engine has sat for awhile).

Dave

4-6 psi is ideal.

don't be surprised if you have to replace the fuel pump....overhaul kits have been hard to find this decade.

Other things to check...

fuel shut off valve on?
tank vent screen plugged (unscrew filler cap to check)
Plugged/sticky anti siphon valve.

The ethanol monster really slammed my Lancer after sitting only 10 months. Did a great job of cleaning out the old galvanized tank of all the crap it accumulated over the years and depositing it in my engine. I ended up dumping all the fuel and cleaning the tank via the fuel gauge sender hole.

BTW... this is my Lancer's website

http://home.comcast.net/~rfierro/site/

Thanks for the suggestions. Just to confirm, the fuel valve is on. Sticky anti-siphon valve would be interesting to check, I'll try that---I assume it's inside the fuel pump?

usually right where the pickup tube fitting is, on top of the tank.

Another "quick" trick is to use a portable (outboard) tank to feed the pump directly - that should let you separate a pump problem from one with the tank and plumbing.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Today I managed to get the engine running smoothly. I don't know that I did anything to "fix" the problem--I checked that the fuel pump was pumping fuel by disconnecting the fuel line between the pump and the carb and cranking the engine. It was pumping fuel. I reconnected the fuel line, primed the carb, and after a couple false starts she fired up and stayed running.

Any number of things could have been ethanol sticky and running the fuel pump with an open output could have "fixed" the problem. Keep a good fuel system conditioner additive in the system especially formulated for ethanol to hopefully prevent a re-occurrence.

Thanks... I have a bunch more pix to upload. The current hot project is to relocate the battery switch which the P/O mounted... get ready for this... on the inside of the boat, on the primarily decorative (kick) panel that is directly above the deck, exposed to the elements, about a foot forward of the rear bulkhead.

Last edited:
Back