Logo

Circulating pump replacement

Srgentpepr

I have a volvo penta 5.7GSI that I have to replace the circulating pump on. It has a movement when you grab it and rock it back and forth, also a bad bearing noise coming from it.
My question is before I tackle this project is there any advice anyone can offer, such as how to remove the 4 bolts that hold it in place without breaking or rounding the heads? the boat is 11 years old now and the bolts dont look to good

thanks for any suggestions

If concerned, I never initially crack this type/location bolt while the engine is cold. If we are going to break a bolt due to rust/corrosion, it's going to be when cold, IMO.
Warm the engine before cracking the four bolts if concerned.
If you do not like working on a warm/hot engine......, crack the bolts, come back to the task later when she has cooled down.

But back to your concern...... when the engine is warm, you honestly have your best chance against any rust/corrosion that may prevent it from coming out.
Also..... use a six point socket or wrench ONLY on these bolts.

BTW, there are an array of 5.7 GSI engines.

5.7GSi
I do not know your model, but if you have the Closed Cooling system, you can use the short automotive Circ Pump.

If Raw Water cooled, you can not!

BTW, several of these may be "wet thread area" bolts.... if you wish to use something like Permatex #2 on the threads, I see no problem with that.

Last edited:
I hear ya, I have had bad experiences over the years with breaking bolts....that's a good idea about warming the engine before hand, but I already have the alternator and a few other things removed. It is a raw water set up...
I will use a 6 point socket set for sure...tonight I was going to start with penatrating oil, let it sit over night, then try giving it a shot tomorrow. I was told to heat the bolts with a torch before removing them

Two things, IMO:

Penetrating oils are great when they are given enough time to get in where they need to be. Add thread corrosion/thread sealant, and this can take a while.

We want to heat the surrounding areas of the bolt, not necessarily the bolt itself. It sure won't hurt though, but allow it to cool some first.
Heat expands metal, but also helps break up rust/corrosion.

Back