Logo

Chrysler 318 cant get over 2200 RPM

Awesome, just what I was looking for ! Lots of great advice ! I too have the same problem, 2200 max rpm, 4 bbls open fine, F30, 440 Chrysler single engine, velvet drive 1:1 ratio, 1" shaft, clean bottom, proped right, made a check list, gonna check it twice.
Thanks All, will post results.

Abster

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a timing light with and advance dial on it and checked the timing. I couldn't even get the engine to 500 RPM to set it at 5 degreees BTDC. My Idle Adjusting screw was backed out to the point that it wasn't even touching the arm on the carb and the lowest I could get it was about 800. I backed off the timing to the point where it was at 500 but the engine was then timed after TDC and when I advanced it the RPM when back up. I was finally able to get about 7 gedgrees BTDC at about 700-750 RPM and at that point I locked it down and checked the advance by bringing the engine to 2800 RPM and I only advanced about 12 degrees. Any thoughts on what I should do next? Any idea if this is being caused by the loose spring in the distributor not allowing me to set the timing at full retard? Again,I'm thinking of buying a new distributor from HurrikainMarine.com or e basicpowermarine.com Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Hoss

Maybe FastJeff can help me out there, I'm running a 76 440 W, but the engine model number is 400BWR is there such a thing as the 400, also have the same 2200 rpm problem, pulled the distributor, cleaned all. replaced advance springs, all is loose & free, new rotor, cap ect..., timed @ 10 deg BTDC @ 700 rpm, new spring kits says advance should be 18 deg @ 1200 rpm, and 26 deg @ 2600 rpm ( full advance ), well none of this worked, watched the timing mark while running the engine up to 3000 rpm, advance moved maybe 5 deg if lucky, is it time for a new distributor? Can I replace this one with a vacumn advance set up? or maybe a conversion, can't find any re-maunfactured, new or any thing for this boat, Dist # IDH-7003-36-4.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Abster

You can try marine part source.com. I didn't see any info on their site for a 440 and I tried to punch in that distributor number you listed and nothing came up but you should call them, they'll tell you how to figure out exactly what you got for an engine & distibutor. I was able to just search distributor in the site and came up with the one listed below for a 440 but I don't know if it will work. I got my new distributor from them it should be here tomorrow and I am going to put it on by Thursday and try it. I'll let you know how it works.
Ignition Distributor

miyl578av.jpg

Mfg. MALLORY

Your Price: $269.46
Ignition Distributor
• Mallory Point type distributor
• Used on ChIgnition Distributor

miyl578av.jpg

Mfg. MALLORY

Your Price: $269.46
Ignition Distributor
• Mallory Point type distributor
• Used on Chrysler M440 engines

Product Info
Product Info

Additional Specs

Additional Description

Accessories
Substitutes
Substitutes
Part#Mfg#Description
Unit Qty. In Stock List Price Your Price Qty. 21787MIYL578AV Ignition Distributor Each 0 $369.13 $269.46 Add to Cart MPS is open Monday thru Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00P.M.
All orders recieved by 2:00 P.M. EST will be shipped the same day. All orders will be confirmed via email with
rysler M440 engines

Hoss

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I just installed the new malory distributor and the boat seems to run great but in order to get the distributor to work I had to disconnect the original wire to the negative side of the coil and hook up the wire directly from the distibutor to the coil negative side. The problem this caused was my Tach runs off of that wire so I can't tell if I'm at the proper RPM to set the timing. If I leave the original wiring to the coil negative terminal it shorts out and I get no spark to the distrubutor. Does anyone know of a quick fix for this?

Hey Hoss,
I was having the same loss of power problem with my 318, at about 2200 it would bog down - I could power through that "dead spot" but the engine sounded like crap.
So, I just did the same Mallory swap to my boat and I cant get her to fire up.. Would you mind posting a pic of how your new distributor is oriented and possibly steps you followed on installation(i.e. are the wires coming from the distributor close to the front or rear of the engine.)
When I put mine in I found TDC- and where the new rotor pointed I started that as the #1 wire. The engine will barely catch then back fire. I tried the 180 degrees off thing and it just backfired worse..

Clearly I need help.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh,

The first step I did was mark my #1 plug location on my existing distributor cap and on the distributor housing itself. Then I removed the cap leaving all of the wireis in place. Then I brought my engine to TDC by hand cranking the engine until the timing mark on the balancer lined up then I removed my #1 plug and stuck a screwdriver onto the hole to make sure the piston was up. Then I removed the old distributor and put in the new one, oviously the #1 cylender was now in a different location. I marked the new location on the new distributor housing and new cap then I removed my #1 wire from the old cap and installed it in the location of the #1 wire and started working my way around the cap 1 wire at a time until they were all on. I also had a starting problem but it was because of no spark due to the coil wireing problem I mentioned above but because of all the cranking I flooded the engine and didn't even realize so I also thought I was 180 off and changed the distributor and ended up having to change it back. When you install the distributor make sure you leave it a little loose, just enough to turn by hande and slowly turn the disitributor while trying to start the engine but no more that 10 degrees in either direction. You may want to pull your plugs and check to see the engine isn't flooded that would have saved me a lot of grief. Once I got it started I was able to position the distributor so it was at a slightly high idle until the engine warmed up and burnt off all the fuel on the plugs It ran great once I set the timing but like I mentioned I can't set the timing dead on because I din't know what RPM I was at since the tach won't work. I hope this helps. Malory also has a Tech support line at 201-688-8300 M-F 9am - 5PM call right from the boat if you can maybe they can help. I plan on calling about my tach problem Monday. Let me know how you make out.

Hey Hoss,
What I did was install the distributor as you explained.. I havent had a chance to check to see if I did in fact flood the engine - But I was hoping you might be able to tell (or show) me the configuration of your new distributor - i.e. are the wires coming out of the new distributor closer to the water pump side of the engine or the transmission side? Im gonna give it another try this weekend - Thanks for all of your help

Josh,

My distributor is at the transmission end of my engine because I have V drives. The red wire of my distribiot went back to the ignition side of the ceramic ballast resistor and the green wire went to the negative side of my coil, brown wirte went to engine ground.

Thanks
Hoss

Back